Elon Musk Predicts AI Will Be Smarter Than The Smartest Human Next Year

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Elon Musk Predicts AI Will Be Smarter Than The Smartest Human Next Year

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm

Musk also told Norway wealth fund CEO Nicolai Tangen that artificial intelligence was constrained by the availability of electricity.

Washington: Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk on Monday said artificial intelligence that was smarter than the smartest human probably would be developed next year, or possibly the next.

In a wide ranging interview on X spaces that had multiple technology glitches, Musk, whose companies include AI startup XAI, also told Norway wealth fund CEO Nicolai Tangen that artificial intelligence was constrained by the availability of electricity.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/elon-musk-predicts-ai-will-be-smarter-than-the-smartest-human-next-year-5401616

Tesla chief says infrastructure will need to keep up with technology’s demands as he seeks investment for own start-up

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/027b133f-f7e ... fd815ae23d

The capability of new artificial intelligence models will surpass human intelligence by the end of next year, so long as the supply of electricity and hardware can satisfy the demands of the increasingly powerful technology, according to Elon Musk.

“My guess is that we’ll have AI that is smarter than any one human probably around the end of next year,” said the billionaire entrepreneur, who runs Tesla, X and SpaceX. Within the next five years, the capabilities of AI will probably exceed that of all humans, Musk predicted on Monday during an interview on X with Nicolai Tangen, the chief executive of Norges Bank Investment Management.

Musk has been consistently bullish on the development of so-called artificial general intelligence, AI tools so powerful they can beat the most capable individuals in any domain. But Monday’s prediction is ahead of schedules he and others have previously forecast. Last year, he predicted “full” AGI would be achieved by 2029. Some of Musk’s boldest predictions, such as rolling out self-driving Teslas and landing a rocket on Mars, have not yet been fulfilled.

A number of AI breakthroughs over the past 18 months, including the launch of video generation tools and more capable chatbots, have pushed the frontier of AI forward faster than expected. Demis Hassabis, the co-founder of Google’s DeepMind, predicted earlier this year that AGI could be achieved by 2030.

The pace of development has been slowed by a bottleneck in the supply of microchips, particularly those produced by Nvidia, which are essential for training and running AI models. Those constraints were easing, Musk said, but new models are now testing other data centre equipment and the electricity grid.

“Last year it was chip constrained . . . people could not get enough Nvidia chips. This year it’s transitioning to a voltage transformer supply. In a year or two [the constraint is] just electricity supply,” he said.

Musk’s eagerness to join the AI race runs counter to the high-profile stance he took last year calling for a pause in advanced AI development. He warned of the “profound risks to society and humanity” posed by super-powerful AI tools and called for an immediate pause on training any system more powerful than OpenAI’s GPT-4, the market leading model.

On Monday, Musk said his own AI start-up, xAI, was training a second version of its model Grok “which we think should be better than GPT-4”. That should be complete by May and would be followed by a new model orders of magnitude more powerful, he added.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/027b133f-f7e ... fd815ae23d

Musk has shifted more time and resources to xAI over the past year. He is attempting to raise billions of dollars from investors in the US, Middle East and Hong Kong in order to compete with OpenAI, in a funding round which would value the company at $18bn, according to people with knowledge of that process.

Musk has played a central, and often contentious, role in the development of new AI tools over the past decade.

He was a co-founder of OpenAI in 2015 but left the company in 2018 after falling out with chief executive and co-founder Sam Altman over the direction of research.

Musk sued OpenAI and Altman for breach of contract in March, alleging they had compromised the start-up’s stated mission of building AI for the benefit of humanity — a claim OpenAI has strongly denied.

https://www.ft.com/content/027b133f-f7e3-459d-95bf-8afd815ae23d
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:04 am

it seems like Ancient History almost, but "Hell on Wheels" really wasn't so long ago.........

Indo-European Language.......Hindu-Arabic number system.....Industrial Rev......and now AI

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:47 am

Israel has apparently been using AI to identify targets in their current war:

el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:55 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:Israel has apparently been using AI to identify targets in their current war:

Didn't listen yet, but if this is true then why are they just massacring everything carte blanche?

The footage I've seen of complete devastation of the entire region doesn't look very precise or calculated to me... ?

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:17 pm

Masato wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:Israel has apparently been using AI to identify targets in their current war:

Didn't listen yet, but if this is true then why are they just massacring everything carte blanche?

The footage I've seen of complete devastation of the entire region doesn't look very precise or calculated to me... ?

The program is called Lavender and it is identifying anyone loosely associated with Hamas, which is also the local civilian administration. The military wing is down in the tunnels where they can't reach them. And they are dropping dumb bombs on these positions, not guided weapons. They're really just killing Palestinians, nothing else.

Check out the video Mas. It features the great Alistair Crooke. ;)
el rey del mambo

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”