Don't want to jinx it

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Som-Pong

Don't want to jinx it

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 am

but I guess I'll get to work on a novel. I am thinking I'll write it in English.
I reckon I will start with "About five years ago I was lying on the floor in a house in Sweden bleeding to death." Not sure though, almost seems to me like I'm copying Shantaram.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

This is wonderful if serious

I've never written a novel, but I wrote a few screenplays and am quite fascinated with the idea of story-structure etc. Read tons of great books about how a good story works or doesn't work, how to think of a structure for the plot, character arcs etc

Some writers are brilliant free-writers, but I like to think that a good amount of pre-planning and mapping out the strategy is well worth the effort.

I also think the work of Joseph Campbel is cool, outlining the archetypes of myths and 'Hero's Journey' that re-appears through all the great stories of history. There is a basic structure to a tale that seems to resonate with our unconscious... something similar behind the stories that are most appreciated

Keep us posted Som, this is a lofty endeavour but a great one. You have unique eyes, I'm sure it will be something special

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 am

I loved those comic of chaos threads cause it was like we were taking turns writing a page of a book. Its too bad the shoop crowd largely left. I dont even see FEA much anymore.

penxv

Postby penxv » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 am

I really like the way Martin wrote The Song of Ice & Fire by changing the perspective from character to character in each of the chapters. You really have to suspend disbelief when any novel of grand scale follows one character through important events like he's some kind of Forrest Gump.

Writing a novel would be difficult, I think.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:58 am

Excellent point. Maybe I will include some sub-plots such as Olgas misadventures.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”