Battleship model from scratch

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
johnkilo

Battleship model from scratch

Postby johnkilo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I just wanted to share you something I started working on. My brother and I have both visited the USS Massachusetts at Battleship Cove (in Massachusetts) several times in our youth, and we just went back for the first time since we were kids last Fall. We're both really into military history, vehicles, and nautical stuff, so I thought this would be a cool gift. I'm also going to make him a poster to go with it.

Yes, I'm the fat one on the left (feel free to shoop), but I've lost a lot of weight since then, so don't judge.

Anyways.

For my brother's Christmas, birthday, and "congrats on getting a new job" present this year I am making a model of that ship from scratch with the help of my father. I thought I'd make a "build thread" of sorts. My Dad is doing the majority of the early work because shaping the hull correctly will be the most difficult part, and he's the woodworking master.

On to the pictures:

I spent two hours making these blueprints. I sent them over to Staples to be printed. The next day I picked them up along with a piece of lumber to make the ship from. Sorry for the large picture.

Cut the wood down to size (36 inches long), and glued two pieces together to get the desired height.

The next day I cut out the overview and placed it on top of the wood and traced around it to get the basic look of the ship.

Cut the shape out.

You may have noticed on the picture of the ship that the belt armor slopes inwards, so my Dad is seen here using a router to get that effect.

Glued another thin piece of wood on top of that.

Glued it all together and clamped it (my Dad's motto is "you can never have enough clamps")

That brings us up to date, we are probably going to work on it every day so I will keep you guys posted.

sheetsMMAfan

Postby sheetsMMAfan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Lol John, look at you!!! Oh my god, I can't believe you posted a picture of yourself here!
OMFG!!!!

Ohhh, wrong forum. In RL, no one really cares that much...

That's fucking awesome man. When my wife and I moved into our house, I built myself a badass workbench in my garage since my truck couldn't fit in. Got a PC job, paying less than my old job, couldn't afford truck, bought car, tore out workbench to park n the garage.

I loved doing shit like this. Worked construction for 10-11 years, and always knew I would work with wood since elementary school. Haven't built much I'm years, but would love to have a space to do shit like this.

Can't wait to see how this turns out man! Good luck with this!

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Im kinda disappointed you don't look more like your av, but this project looks awesome! Definitely an ambitious undertaking.

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:49 am

Luigi wrote:Im kinda disappointed you don't look more like your av, but this project looks awesome! Definitely an ambitious undertaking.

Haha, I wish I looked like Terrance Stamp as well.

Sheets, we have a woodworking shop in our basement, and a machine shop in our garage.

Glad you guys like it, I'll keep you posted.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am

WTF, that is a crazy project... at first I thought you were just building like a model out of a box, but this is serious!!

Congrats on your creativity, skills, and generosity to make such a gift! Hope your bro doesn't find this forum and spoil the surprise!

very cool man, good luck on it!
(I am useless with tools)

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Back at it again today.

Bow taking shape.

Using a plane to shape the body.

Using a sander to further shape it.

How it's looking as of 30 minutes ago.

I know these are crappy photos from my cellphone, but once it's complete I'll take out my DSLR and take some real photos.

sheetsMMAfan

Postby sheetsMMAfan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:20 pm

I have that same fucking washer bro, true story!

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:08 pm

sheetsMMAfan wrote:I have that same fucking washer bro, true story!

Haha nice, Sheets.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:41 pm

sheetsMMAfan wrote:I have that same fucking washer bro, true story!

lol

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Starting to slowly shape the bow of the ship. I'm the one who is responsible for shaping it. Still has a lot to go as you can see.

The first deck is cut out.

First two decks cut out. Not in their final positions, they're just laying there.

Cutting out the third deck.

I'm also working on a poster for this project with a lot of help from Sheets (thanks again Sheets). I'll post that once I'm completely happy with it.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”