Should I do a cover for a political novel I haven't read?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Should I do a cover for a political novel I haven't read?

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Hey all... got a possible fun commission to do a cover for what looks like a political spy/espionage novel.
But I don't wanna support if the book goes against certain ideals I have...

I asked him briefly what his basic political stance is, and he typed this:
"In short, I’m a common sense person and much prefer the real world to the fantasy world constructed by the vast bulk of the media."

I don't want to copy/paste his full book synopsis, but it looks like its about CIA guys executing some kind of 'mission' that 'directly confronts standing orders by the President.' Also bits about ISIS jihadists infiltrating US soil and planning a major attack, and militia leaders in the southern states.

Seems to be an indy project, I was contacted by the author, not a big publisher or agent or whatever

It would be fun to make (photoshop collage), and I would LOVE to break into the business of doing book covers as opposed to the usual illustration stuff I do... but I really don't know exactly what this dude's angle is yet.

I was thinking of flat-out asking him if he believes the official explanation of 9/11, lol but maybe that would be rude :D For me its like a simple litmus test though, I will know a lot based on that answer.

I would also like to grill him on the phone for a while about his views, but is this also stepping over some otherwise unprofessional lines?

How to handle?

I have till tomorrow to get back to him

thanks

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I would say his personal views are his own to have. If they contradict your own the choice is yours to not take on the project if you don't like the material at hand.

My $.02
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:14 pm

- I think is like signing a contract without reading
What i mean is

Go read the book you`r lazy jackass.

:mrgreen:
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 am

Should I ask him if he believes the official explanation of 9/11?
:D

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:24 am

Go for it
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

What

Postby What » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 pm

I say do it, if there are any contrary morals just draft in some subliminal images into your work to counter them

ror :lol:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:35 pm

OK so I took the job

He sounds like a likeable guy so we're already on some mutual ground, lol

He is paying me OK and it really is a fresh gig compared to my usual stuff. It will either go well, or it will turn into a nightmare of revisions

Hoping its the former. He just came out of surgery and I am super busy so we postponed till next week. With his OK I will post some progress and final result. Who knows maybe his book is good

I didn't ask him about 9/11 (yet) :D

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 pm

I start on this today, due Friday.

Still haven't read the book, likely won't, but from conversation I like the guy, he's a hardass old dude who has seen a lot of shit and done his research.

Looking forward to it. With his permission I'll post stuff about the book once its released.

Redneck

Postby Redneck » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:20 am

I don't think it should matter what his political views are. He's paying you for artwork, so ask him what sort of theme he had in mind, and come up with something suitable and to his liking.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey all

Turned out he was a really cool guy to work with. Interesting dude he's had quite a life

Here is the cover, next we need to lay it out in proper format with spine art and back cover etc...

THIS IS NOT MY DESIGN, this was all his direction I only tried to execute as best I could. He chose the colors, and directed what he wanted to see on the cover. If it were up to me I think I would make something simpler/more graphic or iconic but its what he wanted and he is very happy with it so that's good, I guess its a success.

He also paid me like right away which is nice. Coincidentally, he paid me the exact same amount as what I paid the hacker to set up this new forum. I was really accommodating for this guy, doing revisions happily for him to make sure he is happy with it all, and karma kicked right in as the hacker acted the same way for me, very accommodating and helpful to the end. Ain't that cool how things work out like that sometimes?

Anyway, I'll post when some links are up for the book if anyone wants to check it out.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”