War of Art

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

War of Art

Postby Masato » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm

So anyone who has tried to follow their creative muse, in whatever medium to whatever degree, knows that it is a tricky and mysterious battle. We must constantly fight all kinds of mental, physical and spiritual obstacles, constantly somehow making it seem impossible to ever achieve what is in our mind's eye.

It is a lifelong journey of self-mastery, much like the martial arts imo.

Whether your aspirations are humble or grand, this thread is to archive wisdom for those willing to engage and follow it through.

The WAR of ART

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm

This simple tweet was what inspired the thread. I thought it was brilliant and in all my contemplations I had never really thought about this.

I suppose some people make art from their mental unwellness, but I am usually not a fan of that stuff. I think for most artists this is quite true:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Obviously there are many things to be balanced and attended to in order to get one's creative abilities going.

Some are spiritual, some psychological, some physical (life issues etc), among others.

But along with all of these of course, are TECHNICAL basic skills. Here was a nice list I found with good advice for simply getting better at drawing. Anyone who simply does these things with some consistency will improve so fast its ridiculous. Why I don't do more of it is part of this whole fuckin War of Art thing, lol

THIS WORKS:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Check this out, our man greenseed sent me this; full audio of the book; 'War of Art'

I will listen to this, greenseed says its all the same themes as the OP

I won a small battle yesterday... was off to a slow start, was in trouble in the early rounds but kept it together and got the W before the bell.

Not too confident if I'll pass the PED tests though
:D

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”