Soften The Glare

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Joe Mama

Soften The Glare

Postby Joe Mama » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 am

Being a longtime Primus and Rush fan has (in my old age) led me to the conclusion that I am in fact (maybe) a closet Jazz Fusion fan.

Of course being a die hard metalhead, acknowledging this is also (kind of) a difficult task - but not so much as I grow older and further appreciate the individual elements of the entire package.

For those who are/were Mudvayne fans you would understand that the Vocals of Chad Gray and riffs of Greg Tibett accompanied with the brillaince of Matt McDononough and Ryan Martinie made it something beyond special. Although Gray and Tibett split and helped create Hellyeah (and then split again) McDonough went off and helped form Audiotopsy and his counterpart Ryan Martinie went to form Soften The Glare.

Being a fan of ALL of the above said musicians, I must say HANDS DOWN - Martinie's project of Soften The Glare has to be the cream of the crop and the most pleasurable to my earholes.

Audiotopsy is 'good' but STG is 'BRILLIANT' A power trio with no vocals but able to more than convey its message is amazing.

Take a listen for yourself and let me know your opinion. Martinie is brucking filliant.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:47 am

Interesting post/ realization of your honest musical tastes.

I used to be a huge Primus fan, also convinced Claypool is a genius and about as original as you can get. We’d crank some of those early albums with much enjoyment

However I have to admit I find it annoying now lol. Always hated Rush for the same reason, always sounds like they’re just trying so hard to show how complex they can get while I tend to always prefer the simpler tunes.

I can see why people get into jazz and for sure jazz fusion and stuff like the OP are brilliant but maybe I’m getting old but for gods sakes stfu already lol

Same with drum solos lol

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 am

I'm an old jazz buff but I always disliked Rush.

Mainly because the lead singer sounds like a eunuch drowning in a puddle of pee. But other than that...

We have a very nice music thread here kindly created just for yours truly by an old friend gone missing, feel free to jump in there anytime Joe Mama ;)

*I find myself into kind of a 1960s easy listening/MOR bag lately, but I jump all over the place.
el rey del mambo

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:28 pm

:D

Glad to make some drive by postings, and share some thoughts (like the old days)

The more I listen to this album, the more I realize how these musicians are truly exploring the musical space while not stepping on each others toes.
Don't get me wrong - bands like Primus and Rush do the same, but they seem to more want to go outside of the norm while exploring. (i.e. effects and overly complex riffs)
One of the things I like about Martinie's playing is he uses no effects (maybe just a little compression) to explore his musical spaces. That and the fact that the music itself tells the story, without unnecessary lyrics.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I do emjoy a Martini of sorts myself from time to time :)

el rey del mambo

Return to “Anarchy Zone”