Study explores risk of deforestation as agriculture expands in Africa

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Study explores risk of deforestation as agriculture expands in Africa

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Date: April 5, 2017
Source: Stanford University

Summary: Multinational companies are increasingly looking to Africa to expand production of in-demand commodity crops such as soy and oil palm. A first-of-its-kind study highlights the real and potential impacts on the continent's valuable tropical forests.

Lead researcher Elsa Ordway collects data to validate a remote sensing analysis of deforestation and agricultural expansion in Cameroon.
Credit: Courtesy Elsa Ordway

Next time you bite into a chocolate bar, think of Africa. The continent produces nearly 70 percent of the world's cocoa, a growing output that requires carving more than 325,000 acres of new farmland from forests every year -- a drop in the bucket of overall agricultural expansion there.

That expansion is the subject of a new Stanford study that provides the first comprehensive assessment of how international demand for commodity crops, such as cocoa, is affecting sub-Saharan Africa's tropical forests, second in size only to the Amazon. The findings, published in Environmental Research Letters, suggest reason for hope if policymakers tailor decisions regarding deforestation around the region's unique dynamics and uncertainties.

"We are starting to better understand issues related to large-scale agricultural expansion in the tropics," said lead author Elsa Ordway, a graduate student in Stanford's School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences. "In Africa, we have the opportunity to take lessons learned from other regions and recommend preventive policies."

In particular, the study recommends policies that would alleviate poverty in local regions and incentivize forest conservation rather than the widespread deforestation that has accompanied agricultural expansion in other regions.

Full read https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170405144428.htm
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:46 pm

If China take over Africa, the world will be fucked bros, totally fucked.

One very cool thing about the Chinese is they don't give a fuck. If they bring that attitude to the colonization of Africa, the world could be totally fucked. Think pollution times a trillion what it is right now. In Shanghai and Beijing, you have to wear a mask just to walk outside.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed May 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Winnson wrote:If China take over Africa, the world will be fucked bros, totally fucked.

One very cool thing about the Chinese is they don't give a fuck. If they bring that attitude to the colonization of Africa, the world could be totally fucked. Think pollution times a trillion what it is right now. In Shanghai and Beijing, you have to wear a mask just to walk outside.

- Look's like a Reident eveil scenario.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Just a typical day in Shanghai or Beijing

Return to “Anarchy Zone”