Occultist heretic church holding an event in Toronto this weekend

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Luigi

Occultist heretic church holding an event in Toronto this weekend

Postby Luigi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Masato and Canuckster get in this thread! :D

So I was listening to the radio and heard an ad that talked about spirituality getting in touch with your heritage, it said its a movement called gnosis and theyre holding an event at the U of T interfaith centre this weekend. Now I knew that gnosis means knowing or knowledge in ancient Greek and was used widely in Greek philosophy. The Christian usage of the term made me think it likely this was a kind of Christian group, but my inner heathen was jumping at all the red flags so I had to google it. Turns out its a movement founded on the teachings of this man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samael_Aun_Weor

He was born in Colombia and rejected Catholicism from an early age. He studied the ancient world religions and synthesized their teachings with Christianity, although looking though the teachings it seems mostly like traditional faith with Christian dressings. For example he sees "Christ" as a form of higher being that existed before Jesus, saying Zeus, Ahura Mazda, Osiris and others were all embodiments of Christ. The Catholic church has branded his movement as a heresy because it teaches the sanctity of sexuality, and accused them of seducing Catholic clergy to join his sexual movement. They probably also dont like that he incorperates occultism and paganism into his views. The Spanish Catholic church has called it an "anti-social plague" lol. He also teaches the existence of perennial truths, a teaching that is very prominent in Hinduism and other modern forms of paganism.

I looked up their Canadian website and the event mentioned on the radio is not mentioned on the site. As such Im not sure if its on friday or saturday. I thought I heard friday the 21st but the 21st is a saturday. I also dont know the time and if they are going to charge an entrance fee.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Beware the cult of personality
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

shankara

Postby shankara » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 am

Canuckster wrote:Beware the cult of personality

So I'm kind of one of those occultist heretics. There probably is a bit of a cult of personality to Samael in some circles but it isn't something he sought, he said "Don't follow me, I am just a signpost, seek your own self-realization".

One thing I would warn about is the "Gnostic Teachings" site which is basically just a lot of extremely intellectual Kabbalah with no real spiritual value. Samael did teach Kabbalah but he spoke about "intuitive Kabbalah" which doesn't mean making endless minute analyses of Hebrew holy names.

I've translated a couple of his books with the help of a computer, you can find them at http://thesocialchrist.wordpress.com. The Gnostic Teachings people haven't translated them because obviously they think that political awareness is useless for such highly advanced spiritual people as themselves. Not to mention that they're North Americans and so like many Yankees are totally adverse to any criticism of the empire.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 pm

There is a place near the Toronto Airport that looks like a Gnostic church of some kind, wonder if its affiliated with the event

I was on a shuttle from a parking lot to the airport on a recent trip, and saw it through the window. Forget the name but it sounded a lot like this sort of content. Mentioned it to my wife out of curiosity, and the guy sitting in front of me turns around with a big smile and says he attended some of their workshops and how great they are, etc. Really tried to sell me on it, how awesome it is etc

I got to wondering if he was even going to the airport at all, lol or just rode the shuttle sometimes to try to recruit people :D

I'll see if I can track it down, Gnostic stuff is super fascinating but also super creepy at the same time

shankara

Postby shankara » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:55 am

I don't know if it's creepy because of Samael but some of his so-called followers have been pretty bizarre. There was one guy who claimed to be the spirit of Beelzebub. Samael tells the story of redeeming Beelzebub from the hell he's been living in for however many aeons, says that Beelzebub will be born as a girl, the daughter of French peasants... So anyway this Beelzebub guy was making out like he was some super-illuminated spiritual master at the same time as trying to get female students to become his tantric consorts. His followers were complete fanatics too. Now he's "retired", probably realized it wouldn't be possible to keep up the illusion indefinitely.

Actually there's quite a lot of similar stuff that's happened to the Gnosis, much schism and division and people generally making the teaching look bad. But Samael was awesome, a really revolutionary person.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Certain types of women fall for that shit easily, lol... always looking for magic or people who claim to be enlightened or whatever. Make the claim and watch them swoon

shankara

Postby shankara » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 pm

"Hi honey, I'm the Messiah". Didn't try that one yet.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”