Pour la suite du monde

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Luigi

Pour la suite du monde

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 am

In the St. Lawrence river is a small island known as the Isle of Hazelnuts, because of its geographic isolation it was very socially conservative, and preserved many old customs lost elsewhere in Quebec, and perhaps some traditions were hers alone. One such tradition was whale trapping/hunting, a tradition that lasted until the early 20th century. Then in 1962, just before modernity destroyed the culture of this quaint island, the maker of this film and the inhabitants of the island decided to revive the whale hunt tradition and document their journey. Im posting this in the sanctuary because it shows many traditional folk beliefs now lost, such as spiritual properties of the moon, praying to the "souls of pergatory"(a Christianized version of many similar European traditions) and the holiness of "Easter water" - water taken from an everflowing river on the morning of Easter. A clear parallel to the English tradition of the May dew, dew collected from the grass on the morning of May Day(May 1st) said to have healing, fertility, and beautification proerties. Both are seemingly rooted in ancient springtide customs.

However this film can stand on its own merit for those interested in whale hunts, and old cultures but not necessarily spirituality. From wiki:

"The resulting film was hugely popular in Quebec, and today is recognized as a classic of Canadian cinema. Pour la suite du monde has been consistently ranked by critics as one of the best ever made and it represents a major development in the Direct Cinema movement, moving away from simple observation to a more immediate participation and a great emphasis on the words of the people portrayed.[2] It received a Special Award and was named Film of the Year at the 1964 Canadian Film Awards.[3] In 1984 the Toronto International Film Festival ranked the film eighth in the Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time."

https://www.nfb.ca/film/pour_la_suite_du_monde_en/

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am

- Its wierd that we destroyed so manny cultures. Just to look at them after!
We did the same to animals. Reduced their numbers just to observe them at a zoo!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”