Video games you are playing/want to play

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Video games you are playing/want to play

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 am

Luigi wrote:I was lucky enough to find the KOF95 Sega Saturn RAM cart at a local game shop, so now Im playing the Saturn version of KOF95. I might try beating it without using Billy this time though I have zero interest in grinding through it if its as hard as the Neo Geo original lol

- Your Saturn still works?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:16 am

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Luigi wrote:I was lucky enough to find the KOF95 Sega Saturn RAM cart at a local game shop, so now Im playing the Saturn version of KOF95. I might try beating it without using Billy this time though I have zero interest in grinding through it if its as hard as the Neo Geo original lol

- Your Saturn still works?

Yup, it was actually bought by my uncle for my grandparents to put in their basement for us grandkids to use probably in early 1997(because we have games from late 96 and they were all bought at the same time). We played it like crazy when we were actually there, but we probably only visited my grandparents like 5-7 times per year so overall it probably got played much less than the average Saturn. We were kids though, so most of the disks are pretty scratched up. Virtua Cop, VF 2, and VF Kids are the only disks that still consistently work and dont freeze. Virtua Cop is the only one that has never failed to start or freeze, since it has this nice hard paper sleeve thing it sits in.

Typically when Saturns break though its just the laser disk reader dying out, which will never be an issue for me as I use the Satiator cart which loads directly from an SD card.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:47 am

Got the two wires reconnected by soldering them to the back of the connector, it was a pain because I had to apply solder, squeeze them together with tweezers, then using the other hand remelt the solder and connect them. Then seal with a plastic casing. In the process a 3rd wire broke and I couldnt be bothered to do the process again so I just stripped the broker wire, jammed the metal wire into the connector, applied solder and then hot glue. A less secure connection but a much easier one to implement. My great prize was playing the mediocre skeleton warriors game.

A bit excited though, because next game on my list to try is Donpachi. Ive played it in the arcade and quarter-fed thru it, so it will be cool to play the Saturn version. The arcade bar where I played Donpachi was shut down by covid, its too bad because it was such a cool place.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:51 am

I did a 16 credit clear of Donpachi on my Saturn today. Not tatsujin level play on my part by any means but I think its pretty good, I finished level 8 with only 8 credits, I just got brutalized in levels 9 and 10. Really addicting game, and it popularized the bullet hell genre.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:22 am

Ive been playing Megaman X3 and wow I really suck at it. I used to be really good at Megaman games but pretty much every level just crushes me. The slime seahorse is the only robot master I stand a chance against but he has won every fight so far.

It seems like your health bar is so tiny, the bosses health bars are so huge, and for the most part they are relentlessly attacking with 3 different attacks you have to dodge at once. Also the stage enemies seem to all have tons of health. In the old games any enemy would die from 5 hits, now it seems like none do. I do like the anime cut scenes though.

And to be fair Megaman 1, 3, 4, 5, X, and X2 were all really difficult in their own ways so I guess its not all that unusual, maybe its just been so long since I experienced it so its jarring. I've been playing stick but maybe for Megaman I'd be better off with a pad, but my USB pad broke recently. I will have to get my RetroFlag pad from my Dads house next time I visit him.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:54 am

X3 update - I took out the seahorse, the easiest boss, I have the leg upgrades and 2 E tanks and all of a sudden the game becomes much more playable. With these newfound powers I made easy work of the ice bull. 6 robot masters remain.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Luigi wrote:Ive been playing Megaman X3 and wow I really suck at it. I used to be really good at Megaman games but pretty much every level just crushes me. The slime seahorse is the only robot master I stand a chance against but he has won every fight so far.

It seems like your health bar is so tiny, the bosses health bars are so huge, and for the most part they are relentlessly attacking with 3 different attacks you have to dodge at once. Also the stage enemies seem to all have tons of health. In the old games any enemy would die from 5 hits, now it seems like none do. I do like the anime cut scenes though.

And to be fair Megaman 1, 3, 4, 5, X, and X2 were all really difficult in their own ways so I guess its not all that unusual, maybe its just been so long since I experienced it so its jarring. I've been playing stick but maybe for Megaman I'd be better off with a pad, but my USB pad broke recently. I will have to get my RetroFlag pad from my Dads house next time I visit him.

- I was remebering Mega-Man. My brother was good at. I uscked. But still a very funny game.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:44 am

I beat two more robot masters, and two of the bosses with dialogue that randomly attack you in the middle of levels. So far Ive been pretty unlucky in the rock, paper scissors aspect as only 1 robot master was nice and easy because of the weapon. I was hoping that would mean things will be nice and easy for the remaining 4, but I have already determined the electro catfish thing isnt weak to any of my weapons.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:50 am

Playing Baldurs Gate 3. Love it, really hits my dnd nerd nerve.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:26 am

So in MMX3 I finished all the mavericks and went on to the Dr Doppler stages. I beat the first stage after a bunch of practice, but this is only 1 out of 4 doppler stages. So I get the password, turn the game off, and next time I load the password, it doesnt work. You have to do the doppler stages all in one sitting and cant practice on the late ones without beating the early ones every time. Apparently X and X2 had the same issue. I remember those games getting really hard at the end but didnt remember that specifically. The thing is, X3 came out in 1996, and by that time this just doesnt make sense. They should have known better by now and they were now competing with a higher calibre of games. So with that in mind, Im done with this game. It can take its 4 level marathon back to 1993.

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”