Phantom Island of HY BRASIL

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Phantom Island of HY BRASIL

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Just stumbled on this. Fascinating.

Old maps feature an island off the west coat of Ireland named HY BRASIL.

Irish legends contain mythical tales of this island, being a magical island that would disappear as people would approach it.

Eventually, it became known to be an imaginary island, and stopped appearing on maps.

Our good friend Robert Sepehr digs into this, and at the end of the vid he uses Google Maps to find some interesting evidence that makes it suddenly more plausible that perhaps this island once existed:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:01 pm

Another one I have not watched yet.

Makes me think about the Lord of the Rings, where the wisest of Middle Earth could sail westward to whatever that place was called.

They would sail off the west coast into the mist to a place that mortals could not find, etc.

Today we ask, is the island of HY BRASIL real, or is this one of many famous mistakes on old maps and an example of a phantom island? The evidence for and therefore the history of the island of Hy Brasil, is rooted in its appearance on old maps from the 14th to the 19th centuries, but despite numerous expeditions to find it, it has never been located. Thanks to cartographers’ persistence in showing it however (usually off the west coast of Ireland and sometimes joined by the equally fanciful island of Mayda, aka Demar), along with some reported sightings and the occasional work of fiction dressed up as fact, an entire legend has grown up around what is supposedly a paradise inhabited by an old living in a castle and black rabbits and which only appears out of the mist on one day every seven years. What seems more likely is that was one of the countless mistakes on maps created before modern navigational instruments and that that the mythical island of Hy Brazil (as it is also sometimes spelt) is just that, a myth.

In this video from History Calling, we look at the evidence for the island of Hy-Brasil, including some beautiful old maps and written publications, as well as what modern science shows us through satellite images from NASA. Maps studied will include the Mapamondi of 1387, a portolan chart of Europe by Grazioso Benincasa from 1470, an image created by Abraham Ortelius (1570) and a 1769 map of Europe. By the end of the video we’ll have an answer to the question, what is Hy Brasil? Island, rock or legend? This video will also include a discussion of the famous but fictional story which many mistakenly cite as though it’s a real historical source, ‘O-Brazile or The inchanted island’. This was published in 1675 and written by Richard Head, but attributed to the invented figure of William Hamilton.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:05 pm

^^ This 2nd video begins with a claim that there is no relation between this island of Hy Brasil, and the modern country of Brasil.

But Robert Sepehr disagrees.

I should dare try to paraphrase but in Robert Sepehr style, he suggests that both names can be traced to something to do with a RED PAINT, and suggests it's connected to his theories about Phoenecians and a red-skinned or re-haired people, or something like that.

Anyways props to Sepehr for looking a little deeper for some possible reasons for the same name instead of just dismissing it as 'coincidence', as the 2nd vid does.
Sepehr may be wrong but its an insight as to what you get with his work, lol he is a mad genius imo :D

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Some more:

dass

Postby dass » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:04 pm

Masato wrote:Another one I have not watched yet.

Makes me think about the Lord of the Rings, where the wisest of Middle Earth could sail westward to whatever that place was called.

They would sail off the west coast into the mist to a place that mortals could not find, etc.

Today we ask, is the island of HY BRASIL real, or is this one of many famous mistakes on old maps and an example of a phantom island? The evidence for and therefore the history of the island of Hy Brasil, is rooted in its appearance on old maps from the 14th to the 19th centuries, but despite numerous expeditions to find it, it has never been located. Thanks to cartographers’ persistence in showing it however (usually off the west coast of Ireland and sometimes joined by the equally fanciful island of Mayda, aka Demar), along with some reported sightings and the occasional work of fiction dressed up as fact, an entire legend has grown up around what is supposedly a paradise inhabited by an old living in a castle and black rabbits and which only appears out of the mist on one day every seven years. What seems more likely is that was one of the countless mistakes on maps created before modern navigational instruments and that that the mythical island of Hy Brazil (as it is also sometimes spelt) is just that, a myth.

In this video from History Calling, we look at the evidence for the island of Hy-Brasil, including some beautiful old maps and written publications, as well as what modern science shows us through satellite images from NASA. Maps studied will include the Mapamondi of 1387, a portolan chart of Europe by Grazioso Benincasa from 1470, an image created by Abraham Ortelius (1570) and a 1769 map of Europe. By the end of the video we’ll have an answer to the question, what is Hy Brasil? Island, rock or legend? This video will also include a discussion of the famous but fictional story which many mistakenly cite as though it’s a real historical source, ‘O-Brazile or The inchanted island’. This was published in 1675 and written by Richard Head, but attributed to the invented figure of William Hamilton.

That place in middle earth was called Valinor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valinor

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:34 pm

I think I watched one of those videos about this mythical island some time ago....I think "ATLANTIS" came to mind

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:35 pm

- Dont the insland disappear as the sea level changes?
I also watched a vídeo about a insland that did that.:D
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:38 pm

ok....I now see the video "The Atlantis of Ireland" which gave me a good chuckle to imagine it

maybe the Hobbits are a type of Leprechaun?

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:21 am

dass wrote:
Masato wrote:Another one I have not watched yet.

That place in middle earth was called Valinor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valinor

Pelucidar, IMO.

Pellucidar
pellucidar.org
Pellucidar is a fictional Hollow Earth invented by American writer Edgar Rice Burroughs for a series of action adventure stories. In a crossover event, Tarzan, who was also created by Burroughs, visits Pellucidar.Wikipedia
Author:Edgar Rice Burroughs

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:57 am

Masato wrote:^^ This 2nd video begins with a claim that there is no relation between this island of Hy Brasil, and the modern country of Brasil.

But Robert Sepehr disagrees.

I should dare try to paraphrase but in Robert Sepehr style, he suggests that both names can be traced to something to do with a RED PAINT, and suggests it's connected to his theories about Phoenecians and a red-skinned or re-haired people, or something like that.

Anyways props to Sepehr for looking a little deeper for some possible reasons for the same name instead of just dismissing it as 'coincidence', as the 2nd vid does.
Sepehr may be wrong but its an insight as to what you get with his work, lol he is a mad genius imo :D

Sepehr is on point most of the time. Particularly the out of Africa hoax.

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”