Quentin Tarantino's most favorite kung fu movie??????

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Tactless1

Quentin Tarantino's most favorite kung fu movie??????

Postby Tactless1 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 am

and one of my personal favorites?????

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:42 pm

fuckin right

I was crazy for these kind of movies back in the day

Didn't know that about Tarantino, it would be fun to hunt for little things he took for his films, specifically KILL BILL

Your posts are getting better, Tactless1 :D

Tactless1

Postby Tactless1 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Masato wrote:fuckin right

Didn't know that about Tarantino, it would be fun to hunt for little things he took for his films, specifically KILL BILL

You can see a couple shots from KILL BILL that are from classic 70s king fu movies. The white eyebrow sifu is straight from those those movies.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 pm

Tactless1 wrote:

You can see a couple shots from KILL BILL that are from classic 70s king fu movies. The white eyebrow sifu is straight from those those movies.

The character of Pai Mei is not just an homage but an actual character from a bunch of old Kung Fu flicks.

I think there was a series of them WHITE LOTUS - Fist of the White Lotus, Clan of the White Lotus, etc

I own a copy of FIST of the White Lotus. Pai Mei is in it as a villain.

What's cool is that Gordon Liu, the hero in those old movies that had to fight Pai Mei, is the actor Tarantino cast to play Pai Mei decades later in Kill Bill.

Love that stuff

Tactless1

Postby Tactless1 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:21 pm

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:02 pm

Tactless1

Postby Tactless1 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:47 am

the other great classic and uber cult movie is this. th actors, called the 5 venoms, starred in a lot of classic movies and won fame with their incredible skills and martial arts moves'

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:42 pm

I was more of a fan of the late 70s/early 80s Golden Harvest stuff... such as Enter The Fat Dragon. A fat Bruce Lee fan goes to the city looking for work and gets into all sorts of trouble. Shaw Brothers stuff I didn't get into until I was a bit older. Golden Harvest stuff had more humour in them while Shaw Bros were mostly serious.

Edit*... I just watched the whole thing again. Such an underrated gem!

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Masato wrote:
Tactless1 wrote:

The character of Pai Mei is not just an homage but an actual character from a bunch of old Kung Fu flicks.

I think there was a series of them WHITE LOTUS - Fist of the White Lotus, Clan of the White Lotus, etc

I own a copy of FIST of the White Lotus. Pai Mei is in it as a villain.

What's cool is that Gordon Liu, the hero in those old movies that had to fight Pai Mei, is the actor Tarantino cast to play Pai Mei decades later in Kill Bill.

Love that stuff

Btw, Pai Mei, AKA Pak Mei created his own style of Kung Fu and now there's a game that features it. Pretty cool.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:16 pm

Great thread

Tactless1 wrote:the other great classic and uber cult movie is this. th actors, called the 5 venoms, starred in a lot of classic movies and won fame with their incredible skills and martial arts moves'

I own that one too! LOVE IT. It is so fun and original, one of the greats imo, good call.
That scene on the video preview thumbnail is when they put Toad in the IRON MAIDEN :? :?

Diet Butcher wrote:I was more of a fan of the late 70s/early 80s Golden Harvest stuff... such as Enter The Fat Dragon. A fat Bruce Lee fan goes to the city looking for work and gets into all sorts of trouble. Shaw Brothers stuff I didn't get into until I was a bit older. Golden Harvest stuff had more humour in them while Shaw Bros were mostly serious.

Edit*... I just watched the whole thing again. Such an underrated gem!

I own a copy of Enter The Fat Dragon too! :D You guys know your Kung Fu :D :D

Sammo Hung!! lol that guy was great. I also own 'The Magnificent Butcher' with him starring.
He was also in a lot of old Jackie Chan movies as a sidekick of comic relief. So good to see he earned some starring roles, he deserved it.

Another one in my collection that deserves a shoutout is MASTER KILLER, aka 36 CHAMBERS OF SHAOLIN
Also starring Gordon Liu, who plays Pai Mei in Kill Bill

I have more in my collection but badass to see some appreciation here for some of my favourite films

Diet Butcher wrote:
Btw, Pai Mei, AKA Pak Mei created his own style of Kung Fu and now there's a game that features it. Pretty cool.

that game looks great!

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”