The thread about books that are worth a read.

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
m25105

The thread about books that are worth a read.

Postby m25105 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 pm

The Wikileaks File.
The Trial of Henry Kissinger.
Clash of Civilisations.
The Israel Lobby.
The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine.
Imperial Hubris.
Intellectuals and Society.
Animal Farm
The Art of War.
The Book of Five Rings.
Economics in One Lesson.
Austerity.
The Prince.
Brave New World.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Hey man, nice to see you around again

Have you read all these books?

I am an admitted shitty reader, I just don't have the attention span and it never became a lifestyle for me. I can listen to audio for hours on end, however, most of what I've learned in these areas were all from lectures/presentations/documentaries/interviews etc.

How I wish I had that kind of library in my brain.

The Wikileaks File is a book?

I have read Animal Farm and 1984 though.

Good thread for those smarter than me :)

m25105

Postby m25105 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Yeah it's a book and it's well worth reading. I've read the following books.

The Trial of Henry Kissinger.
Clash of Civilisations.
The Israel Lobby.
Imperial Hubris.
Intellectuals and Society.
Animal Farm
The Art of War.
The Book of Five Rings.
Economics in One Lesson.
The Prince.
Brave New World.

and I'm currently reading "The Wikileaks File".

You can buy many of these books as audio books too btw.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 am

I missed this one back then but need to read it. I love predictive vintage sci fi. Interesting list by the way.

The Weird 1969 New Wave Sci-Fi Novel that Correctly Predicted the Current Day

Stand on Zanzibar is that rarity among science fiction novels — it really made accurate predictions about the future. The book, published in 1969, is set in the year 2010, and this allows us to make a point-by-point comparison, and marvel at novelist John Brunner’s uncanny ability to anticipate the shape of the world to come. Indeed, his vision of the year 2010 even includes a popular leader named President Obomi — face it, Nate Silver himself couldn’t have done that back in 1969!

Let me list some of the other correct predictions in Brunner’s book:

(1) Random acts of violence by crazy individuals, often taking place at schools, plague society in Stand on Zanzibar.

(2) The other major source of instability and violence comes from terrorists, who are now a major threat to U.S. interests, and even manage to attack buildings within the United States.

(3) Prices have increased sixfold between 1960 and 2010 because of inflation. (The actual increase in U.S. prices during that period was sevenfold, but Brunner was close.)

(4) The most powerful U.S. rival is no longer the Soviet Union, but China. However, much of the competition between the U.S. and Asia is played out in economics, trade, and technology instead of overt warfare.

(5) Europeans have formed a union of nations to improve their economic prospects and influence on world affairs. In international issues, Britain tends to side with the U.S., but other countries in Europe are often critical of U.S. initiatives.

(6) Africa still trails far behind the rest of the world in economic development, and Israel remains the epicenter of tensions in the Middle East.

(7) Although some people still get married, many in the younger generation now prefer short-term hookups without long-term commitment.

(8) Gay and bisexual lifestyles have gone mainstream, and pharmaceuticals to improve sexual performance are widely used (and even advertised in the media).

(9) Many decades of affirmative action have brought blacks into positions of power, but racial tensions still simmer throughout society.

(10) Motor vehicles increasingly run on electric fuel cells. Honda (primarily known as a motorcycle manufacturers when Brunner wrote his book) is a major supplier, along with General Motors.

(11) Yet Detroit has not prospered, and is almost a ghost town because of all the shuttered factories. However. a new kind of music — with an uncanny resemblance to the actual Detroit techno movement of the 1990s — has sprung up in the city.

(12) TV news channels have now gone global via satellite.

(13) TiVo-type systems allow people to view TV programs according to their own schedule.

(14) Inflight entertainment systems on planes now include video programs and news accessible on individual screens at each seat.

(15) People rely on avatars to represent themselves on video screens — Brunner calls these images, which either can look like you or take on another appearance you select — “Mr. and Mrs. Everywhere.”

(16) Computer documents are generated with laser printers.

(17) A social and political backlash has marginalized tobacco, but marijuana has been decriminalized.

read more here:

http://www.themillions.com/2013/03/the-w...t-day.html
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 pm

^ fascinating!

I will look up some of those audiobook titles... Any first recommendations, m25105?

thx

m25105

Postby m25105 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Reading the wikileaks books is making me angry. Ranted on sherdog about it.

m25105

Postby m25105 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Masato wrote:^ fascinating!

I will look up some of those audiobook titles... Any first recommendations, m25105?

thx

The Israel Lobby is a great audio book.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”