Luigi

Inside the culture of the journeyman fighter

Postby Luigi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:15 am

Very interesting subject that basically never gets discussed:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 pm

That was fascinating, true I honestly never really thought about it much

Do you think promotions are honest when they post his record? 8-90 is kind of a comical sounding record, doesn’t make any potential prospects look much better, no?

Also interesting because he is openly admitting he throws fights and that a lot of boxing is rigged. Surprised he kept his job after that interview to be honest

I liked the part where he figured out that being a Journeyman was a more comfortable and perhaps more lucrative career than trying to be a champ

Thanks Luigi very cool find

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:06 am

It really made me interested in the guy he mentioned Tony Fox, the journeyman whose turning things around: http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/761746
Now ranked 14th in the UK in his weight.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm

- Journeyman are the fighters that usually make a card. Its sad how little respect they get. A champion is nothing without oposition. And several journeymans steped inhis way. Those are theman that contributed on his growing. Brad Lee Hinkle, Ebenezer Braga, Dajiro Matsui, Clay Guida.

Those mans put on a show, they wherent enhacement talente. They where talents too! Some for their skills, other for their hearts.
Sad that people today only read a resume and dont follow those mans tories. The fights they put.

They are the core of the sport. If champions are the leaf, flowers and fruits, Those man are the trunk that sustain the combat sports standing!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Masato wrote:That was fascinating, true I honestly never really thought about it much

Do you think promotions are honest when they post his record? 8-90 is kind of a comical sounding record, doesn’t make any potential prospects look much better, no?

Also interesting because he is openly admitting he throws fights and that a lot of boxing is rigged. Surprised he kept his job after that interview to be honest

I liked the part where he figured out that being a Journeyman was a more comfortable and perhaps more lucrative career than trying to be a champ

Thanks Luigi very cool find

- Years before i joined sherdog i read a article called Professional Loser(dont know who wrote). Its was a article about those man lives, some of them where far tougherr than the champions of the category(they where willing to take a beating). But they didnt had the promoter behind. Some of those fighters where even better fighters.THey had parallel records sometimes. Fighting under a name with a winning record andanother with a losing record.

Thats is why i am a pro-wretling fan. For all the critic. Pro-wrestling is up-front about that.

And a cooler far more entertaining sport!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”