'This is a Good Book' thread

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: 'This is a Good Book' thread

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm

- The Land That Time Forgot

- I wish they did a movie about Burrowgs Caspak series. Cool dinosaurs and pre-historic animals.
Just the work of a man that made boys dream about adventures.

Starting out as a harrowing wartime sea adventure, Burroughs’s story ultimately develops into a lost world story reminiscent of such novels as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World (1912) and Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island (1874) and Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864). Burroughs adds his own twist by postulating a unique biological system for his lost world, in which the slow progress of evolution in the world outside is recapitulated as a matter of individual metamorphosis. This system is only hinted at in The Land That Time Forgot; presented as a mystery whose explication is gradually worked out over the course of the next two novels, it forms a thematic element serving to unite three otherwise rather loosely linked stories.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 pm

onetrickpony

Postby onetrickpony » Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 am

I love this book. My son is reading it right now and I can't wait till he's done so I can talk to him about it.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu May 16, 2019 3:37 pm

onetrickpony wrote:I love this book. My son is reading it right now and I can't wait till he's done so I can talk to him about it.

I don't know what 'implacable' means, so I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

how old is your son? Mine is 11 and is starting to get more into reading. Maybe he knows what implacable means and would enjoy.

onetrickpony

Postby onetrickpony » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 am

Masato wrote:
onetrickpony wrote:I love this book. My son is reading it right now and I can't wait till he's done so I can talk to him about it.

I don't know what 'implacable' means, so I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

how old is your son? Mine is 11 and is starting to get more into reading. Maybe he knows what implacable means and would enjoy.

I read back through my post last to see where the fuck I had used implacable and until I finally the book cover (for future reference it means unable to be placated).

My son is also 11. The book deals with death (and question the characters existence while others are dying who are better people than him), some sex, explanations of rape and how it affected a female scientists career, alcoholism, piracy, the horrors of war, jail killings and beatings and finally revealing the disgusting way the government uses people and their authority to not only change the narrative but warp any situation to their needs.

If you’re cool with your son asking you questions about these sorts of things (most of this I’ve slready discussed with my boy) I highly recommend it. But, you should read it first. Not only because it’s awesome but, because you seem like a good parent and should check out what a random dude from the internet is recommending for your child.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun May 19, 2019 8:24 am

Great bump, I hadn't seen this thread yet and that Celtic book posted on page 1, my mom gave me that book when I was a teenager. I think its still in her book shelf. Also Edge posted a Princess from Mars and I really liked the movie adaptation of that.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun May 19, 2019 1:26 pm

- Was waiting for a rider-kick!

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun May 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Luigi wrote:Great bump, I hadn't seen this thread yet and that Celtic book posted on page 1, my mom gave me that book when I was a teenager. I think its still in her book shelf. Also Edge posted a Princess from Mars and I really liked the movie adaptation of that.

- Me too!
Now they need to do a modern: The Land That Time Forgot!
The last Jurassic park movies have been awful.
Those kids ruinded the movie!

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”