Some stuff I had to Draw today...

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Some stuff I had to Draw today...

Postby Masato » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Hey all

I draw a lot of shit for work all the time, but rarely post. For me its usually just work, not very creative, almost always rushed and usually pretty scrappy, lol

(its just internal presentation storyboards etc, so they are not intended to be finished or look great - perfect for me :) )

But if I'm doing it I thought I may as well post. So at the end of every day that I've been hired for something, I'll post 1 or 2 of the more interesting or funny things I had to draw, or maybe a work-in progress or something

Still not done today's work, I'll post in maybe 3 hours.

If anyone is interested in previous work samples of what I typically illustrate, I have a gallery here:
http://masatotoys.com/professional-illustration/

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am

OK so I crashed out last night before finishing/posting, lol

Got up a bit early this morning to finish the gig. Hopefully there are no revisions!

These were typical storyboard frames... but unfortunately there were a lot of shots of CROWDS!! Prices for storyboard frames are the same regardless of content. Sometimes I get easy frames like a mug sitting on a white background, lol - other times I get crowds. Same price, sometimes I win sometimes I lose. I think it all averages out in the end.

I had to do 10 frames like this, I'm just picking the few I liked, and that wouldn't give the client/concept away.

Usually I have to submit a 'pencil' first for approval or revisions, and then when its approved I move on to color.

As always they are very rushed, ridiculously short deadlines. The trick is to make it look as 'acceptable' as possible in the fastest time possible. Its just to communicate ideas, no one is critiquing the illustration itself from any artistic measure. No time to refine anything nicely, which is nice but also builds a lot of bad habits

This is where I got the idea for this thread:
royal-canadian-mint-architecture-t1064.html
The script specifically takes place at the Royal Canadian Mint, and I was fascinated to discover the shape of this building from a symbolistic/theological perspective. I think a lot about where money actually coms from and the bizarre power some groups have to create it from nothing:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 am

Here is another interesting project I was working on the night before..

Have you ever seen those 'Whiteboard Animation' videos where you see a hand furiously drawing pictures as the narrator is talking? Well I got hired to do the art for one of those. They were gonna animate it and create the 'drawing' effect in the edit room - all they needed from me were the images.

It was tricky to try to draw in that particular style, but also a lot of fun:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 am

*edit:

JUST got this email in regards to the Royal Canadian Mint frame:

MotherFUCKER!! lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Lmao^

Shit, that made me laugh.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Flying Eye Angle

Postby Flying Eye Angle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Masato wrote:*edit:

JUST got this email in regards to the Royal Canadian Mint frame:

MotherFUCKER!! lol

Pretty similar to video effects work.

Do you have to do an entire picture over again or is it like just erase and redraw areas digitally. Also do you charge more when they want changes

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Flying Eye Angle wrote:[
Pretty similar to video effects work.

Do you have to do an entire picture over again or is it like just erase and redraw areas digitally. Also do you charge more when they want changes

No, its all digital work so revisions are relatively easy. I can't image the days when this job was done with markers - it wasn't too long ago, I know some dudes who did it that way before tablets.

If its an easy change I'll throw it in. This was an easy one, took me like 15 minutes to shoop in some cups.

Also, if its a critique to the way I've drawn something, its free.

I only charge is there is a change to the CREATIVE after the work has been done. If they change their mind from the instructions given during the brief, its a change. Technically the above request would be a billable creative change, but I find fussing over that would do more harm than good. I like to be easy to work with

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm

- What's you inspiration to your drawing style?
Reminds a little of Hergé or something similar.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Flying Eye Angle

Postby Flying Eye Angle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Masato wrote:Image

This pic reminds me of Bill Plympton cartoons for some reason

Return to “Anarchy Zone”