Am going to this event tonight (VR shit)

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Am going to this event tonight (VR shit)

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:20 pm

An old college friend invited me... he is all crazy for the latest VR technology, apparently there will be a presentation and some demo opportunities to test some shit out

I'm psyched

He also wants to make a short animated VR film based on a script I wrote and characters I designed. He tried before a few years back but the team fell apart. He wants to try again, who knows lets see

http://www.meetup.com/Wearable-Wednesda ... 233918283/

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Sulon Technologies will be demoing its revolutionary untethered AR/VR device, Sulon Q, for the very first time ever at WWTO.

JUST ADDED: Try out Sony's much anticipated PlayStation VR before its official release October 13!

Also featuring immersive demos using PSVR, HoloLens, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Gear VR and Google Cardboard with participating organizations including:

Secret Location, Sulon Technologies, Globacore, Quantum Capture, Proto3000, Super Ventures, Modiface, CFC/ideaBOOST, ABB Robotics, Eye-LIVE Media, MiaoMiao Games, itsme3D, Lucky VR, FIVARS Festival, VR Society, Ryerson University, Sony, OMERS Ventures and more.

Beer from Lake Wilcox Brewery, Wine and Pizza from Pizza Pizza will be served courtesy of Herscu & Goldsilver.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Will take some pics, this will be fun

It better be, I'm skipping jiu jitsu for this :D

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:28 pm

WTF is a Sulon Q?

I am going in blind

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Masato wrote:WTF is a Sulon Q?

I am going in blind

sounds cool. did something similar a loooooong time ago, can't imagine what it's like now :shock:

get REAL high.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:21 am

^ you made that? Or were part of making it? When was this? Its pretty cool

The event was fascinating, actually. This was the top VR tech companies gathering to show all their latest fancy shit... yet the whole vibe was sort of that nobody really knew what to DO with it, lol

Everyone had something interesting or cool, but nothing that really shined or gave hope to the technology. What is interesting in this respect is that there is an EXTREMELY shallow pool of content right now, and 99% of it is crap made by techs and not artists.

So, for example there is a new genre of VR Short Films appearing now at various top film festivals around the world. We met a curator group who selects the best ones for TIFF and Cannes. I got to see the winners from last year and I was not impressed. So basically, if you make a short VR film you are competing with like less than 10 films, lol as opposed to making any other short film where you are competing with maybe tens of thousands.

Whats MORE... is that at this early stage of the industry, you can totally get away with crappy CGI, lololol - You can't render PIXAR shit and have it run smoothly in VR, at least not yet. So the films by nature are quite simple which is cool because it returns the artform back to STORY and concept as opposed to high-budget visuals as Hollywood can be blamed for.

My friend who invited me wanted to make a CGI short of a project I wrote and designed some years ago but I thought it was an unrealistic goal as CGI shorts are looking better and better and there is no way an indy film can compete anymore without big $$ funding.

**but in the VR world we can totally strip the story down and IT WILL STILL WORK. :shock: In fact I think it will even be stronger.

The other thing is that VR films by nature are TOTALLY DIFFERENT than regular films;

1. the 3rd wall has been broken. You are IN the film. This changes the whole nature of storytelling reality, and the writing/concept process has to be totally re-visited.

2. The 'interactivity' fucks up traditional narrative methods. You can't reveal an important story plot point while the user is looking back and around at something else, lol. If its not engaging enough, then why do it in VR? Yet if its TOO interactive, it becomes a video game and not a 'film.

3. Storyboarding gets thrown out the window. You simply cannot storyboard a VR film the same way as a traditional film. It doesn't work, lol.

- From what I gathered, NONE of these issues have really been resolved within the VR community. One of the presenters on the stage referred to the state of the industry right now as the 'wild west'. I think he's right.

So our plan is to make this short and come and kick a hole in people's brains lol

I am not a fan of VR personally, but if my chances of making a splash as a writer/director/designer in this industry are as high as it appears, then why not make a go of it?

The only thing stopping me is my buddy who knows how to make this shit, who is a completely lovable yet also completely unreliable dude lol

We'll see. He says he has a good girl now who is keeping him straight, maybe he can pull this off :D

I'm gonna get started on the VR storyboard soon. Will be a pretty cool short film if we can get er done.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:43 am

Here are some pics:

Playstation was demo'ing their new Playstation VR. It comes out in a week or something, was kind of cool to get a preview. I did not play it.

Several presentations by key leading people in the industry talking about the future of the technology. They all seemed a little lost, lol. They are all excited about the technology but no one really seems to know what to do with it yet. That was sort of the admitted theme of the night, that the technology right now obscenely surpasses the content. Everyone is trying to play this little lottery but people in general are still not really interested in VR.

Several demo stations all over you could put your name down for and wait to try. I did a few but not many. Its strange to see people who are totally disconnected/can't see you, or likely have even temporarily forgotten where they are. VR is a trip man, it really fools your brain fast.

This was cool; the event was not just VR but also AR (augmented reality), where the tech can read real-space and juxtapose VR shit into it and vice versa. This device was a sort of camera you attach to your tablet and 'scan' an object all around and it will create a 3D model of it from the data of the scan. Here I watched a guy scan a Lysol Canister, and in like 2 minutes the device had created a near-perfect CGI rendered model of the object. Traditionally, even something simple like this would take hours to create and render well in CGI. You can even scan your face and get a 3D model of yourself.

My man Jack-O who invited me. He drove all the way from Ottawa (5 hours) for this, he is VR crazy. One of the few people around who can actually program the shit, he makes all kinds of trippy installations and things with it.

3D Printer. The Hulk was made with it. It is as light as a feather. Hand-painted.

What really bummed me out was that more than 1/2 the video game experiences, including Playstation, were all SHOOTING games. Murdering people, lol. This PS game you were racing down a highway re-loading automatic weapons and shooting people in the head, blood and everything. SO violent, yet everyone completely de-sensitized. Can't they come up with anything better? I'm telling ya, this industry is VOID of fresh creative thinkers...

Here is someone playing the PS VR:

Another stupid gun/shooting game... but I will give it a pass because it was called 'Blasters of the Universe'
LOLOL I thought that was funny

This was interesting; VR Poker. This pic sucks/all blurry, but the idea is that you feel like you are actually at the table. You can look down at your cards, scan around the table, look at your opponents etc. I don't see how this would make for any better poker than a simple 2D app, but people seemed to be impressed

Downhill Ski Racing VR simulation. I did this but couldn't finish the race, lol it was so disorienting startd to make me feel ill. But MotherFUCKER those ski racers go fast. Was really insane to get a sense of it, they are fucking FLYING:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:48 am

I am not a fan of the tech, really. It kind of hurts your head/brain, I cannot imagine being in there for more than 5 minutes at a time.

But I am gonna take advantage of the opportunity to maybe make a short VR film, as I have the whole concept ready to go and I think its really good and this friend who actually knows how to make it wants to make a go of it.

I can see VR possibly catching on for SHORT content. I really don't know if people wanna watch whole films or play extensive gaming with the VR goggles, its just too mindfucky. But if people make SHORT unique experiences perhaps people might be into it. We plan to make our film like maybe 3 minutes max. Believe it or not in those 3 minutes I truly think I can take someone on a journey with real emotional content. With such a shallow pool to compete in, it suddenly does not seem impossible to win an award at Cannes or something, which could open up all kinds of doors.

We'll see what happens.

Was a good night

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 pm

So far the most impressive VR application I've seen is the 3d Painting 'Tilt Brush' tech.

They did not have it demo'd but I think this could really be great for lots of purposes:

Here is maybe the greatest living animator testing the TiltBrush:

Return to “Anarchy Zone”