NON DE PLUME

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
dass

NON DE PLUME

Postby dass » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:12 am

"Dass" tell me your honest opinion: would that work for a writer of SF/fantasy fiction?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:24 pm

I have no idea about SF fiction audience, or marketing angle etc. Perhaps it would stand out and really help your promotion. It's kind of mysterious, single name etc. It might work, if your stories are good and you have badass artwork on your covers and get a good publisher/agent or whatever

I always thought it was funny for a while every author was putting a single letter for their MIDDLE name. Somehow they figured it made the name look more epic I guess, lol try it with your own, see how your monkey brain responds

For me personally it seems pretentious and clearly fabricated, I think it would turn me off. It always makes me think of Ram Dass, so the word/name 'dass' to me sounds like some kind of eastern/new age guru name or something lol.

What about B.A. Dass?
:D

Pen names are weird.

Mine is Masato Toys, FFS lol
sounds more like a company than a person
maybe that's good lol

Recently I found a political blogger who writes under the name Sue Dunham. The writer had to explain, lol says not one person ever figured out the joke: SUE DUN HAM = PSEU DO NYM

lol I thought that was great

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:31 pm

PS I'd love to chat with you about writing sometime.

I write in screenplay format, I've written 5 scripts and really love it.
Almost no one has read any of them lol

(Also the Choose Your Own Adventure Book & Sonnen's War, if you wanna count those lol)

For the first script, I would read tons of books about screenwriting & story structure etc. I find it fascinating. The puzzle of putting together a well-crafted story design, while trying to stay true to whatever you are trying to express at the same time, and succeeding in the end with something on target for me is a huge thrill. The whole supposed psychological effect of 'The Hero's Journey' on people I also find completely intriguing

My first script took me like 5 years to write lol, I used to see writing a full screenplay as a huge and daunting task. My next few also took years to write but then suddenly I knocked one out in less than a year, and then my most recent one I fucking killed it in a few months. This is exciting for me, as I'm no longer intimidated to go with an idea if it inspires me enough, knowing that I can do it now without years of anguish lol

However maybe now my ideas will be more ambitious, and I go back to square 1 again lol
Level up?

I'd love to hear about how you write etc

Return to “Anarchy Zone”