New (old) Big Lebowski Intro

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

New (old) Big Lebowski Intro

Postby Masato » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:13 pm

*edit - this thread was moved as a result of where the discussion went.

The first video is non-CT but is still very funny :)

-

Hey all

On the Collector's edition of the Big Lebowski there is a new intro that was not in the theatrical release.

It is fucking awesome, lol - this is a single performance of great comedy talent, very funny dude.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:19 pm

I moved this to the New F7 room because it's just so creative/original.

I have a lot of respect for a good monologue, I think they are a challenge to write, and even harder to perform. Rowan atkinson comes to mind:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:48 pm

btw, I just realized the Big Lebowski is a commentary on US Foreign Policy

fungi

Postby fungi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:03 pm

^ Enlighten us, Masato.

p.s. Some relevant, imho, material:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Hey fungi

1. The film starts with the narrator (cowboy dude) talking about how the story takes place "...about the time of our conflict with Saddam and the Iraqis"

2. After the opening monologue, we see a clip of Bush Sr giving a speech about Saddam and Kuwait, saying "...THIS WILL NOT STAND. This aggression against Kuwait WILL NOT STAND"

3. The Dude's vietnam vet bowling partner (John Goodman) convinces the Dude to DO something about his rug that got peed on. It is in the Dude's nature to let it go, but his crazy war friend convinces him it 'WILL NOT STAND'.

4. Goodman's character also makes reference (I don't have the exact line) about 'ABIDING' in a negative way, as if only cowards would 'abide' at such an injustice.

5. The Dude goes to the rich guy and says 'This Will Not Stand'.

6. All fucking chaos comes to his life as a result. His friend Donnie gets killed as a result.

7. Later, when the Dude has finally resolved everything, he learns his lesson that it wasn't worth it. The KEY LINE in the film is... "The Dude ABIDES" The Dude Abides. Cowboy says he takes comfort in knowing that.

What is all the stuff with Bush Senior? What about the repeating of his line 'This will not stand'? What happens when the Dude takes Bush's (Goodman's) advice? What happens when US Foreign Policy takes this advice?

I am theorizing that the filmmakers are saying that when we get all ruffled about things and take an aggressive stand to challenge our wrong-doers, we just make a mess and bring more harm to ourselves and others. The Dude's TRUE nature is to 'Abide', and let things be, and that is where the Dude is happy and he brings balance to a crazy world.

Line about Saddam and the Iraqis @ 1:50
Bush Sr's Cameo @ 2:58:

fungi

Postby fungi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

^ Wow! That's deep!

I mean real deep.

Now, come to think of it, about the word "abide". I think they, the filmmakers (as reps of govt propaganda), are pushing the idea of "abiding" real hard. They want the dude (the citizen) to abide by the law, the rules, the order (The New World one;), the way things are, etc.

the "WILL NOT STAND" part applies only to those who DO NOT abide by it, Saddam, Kim Jong Un, Fidel, Che Guevara, etc.

I don't know, I'm just running wild with theories here.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:43 pm

^ good take.

For sure, it makes a hero out of apathetic characters. They equate invading Iraq with trying to replace a rug. lol

fungi

Postby fungi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Making agreeable eunuchs out of men...

p.s. This feels like a Rebel thread. Nice!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:32 pm

This sucks cuz I like that movie, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:35 pm

see how propaganda is sometimes double-flipped?

That's why I am always wary of Hollywood films that APPEAR to be critics of war, or pro-environment, etc. It seems all well and good but usually in the end somehow they twist it up so you go home and do nothing/get suckered into their plans, lol

Return to “Anarchy Zone”