latest buakow muay thai in K1 last night

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Canuckster

latest buakow muay thai in K1 last night

Postby Canuckster » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:09 am

weird ass ending, buakow doesnt show up for the fourth round and says the thai commision wont let him fight past 3 rounds?]

wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 8vqUwrmif0

People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:00 am

To anyone who doesnt know what was going on, K-1 isnt really K-1 anymore and small orgs can purchase the rights to use the brand name. So this promotion was "K-1 Thailand" and the sponsor who was funding them was an online betting site. In Thailand gambling is illegal in all forms except for betting on Muay Thai fights in the stadiums. When Buakaw saw the main sponsor was a gambling site that didnt comply with how gambling is supposed to be done in Thailand he suspected there would be corruption/rigging. He went on their site and you would only win your bet if you picked the right fighter and how they won. However, the site specifically differentiated between normal decision win and extended round decision win(where its a tie so there is a sudden death round). Buakaw suspected they would lock the result of a tie at the end of 3 round to ensure a sudden victory round in which everyone loses their bet and the website makes all the money. So he reported it to the police and vowed that he would try to KO Kehl to prevent this, and if he couldnt he would walk out of the ring and not accept the decision.

The problem with Buakaw's actions is that the site knew about Thailand's laws and only offered betting overseas. He would look really dumb here if it wasnt for the fact that he performed well and it was ruled a draw/goes to sudden victory round. There is a logical explanation for this too though. When Buakaw was going ape shit trying to finish Kehl he used a lot of Muay Thai moves that are illegal in kickboxing(all of the throwing techniques he used the whole fight lol). This of course wasnt being scored by the judges and they may have even been put off by it and have become more inclined to favor Kehl.

Basically Japanese kickboxing in Thailand died as soon as it had its first event lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm

wow, good info luigi
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 am

We should probably rename the subforum "mma/combat sports"

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

edit

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Luigi wrote:We should probably rename the subforum "mma/combat sports"

Done. Now I'm thinking if theres a better title - maybe JUST combat sports, or Martial Arts - or maybe even something ninja-y lol

Like it could be called 'The Dojo' or something. -is that cheesy?

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else has any ideas for improvement please let me know. I wonder about the New F7 title sometimes, maybe its too obscure

I am in the midst of finding someone to transfer this pace to a custom platform, I'm gonna redesign it, if it works it will look dope

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 pm

I have nooooooooooo fucking idear what the F7 thing means.m

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 pm

The thing about MMA is that its immediately understood by a casual/not that into MMA person. So if some guy comes here for the political aspect I suspect there is a much better chance he will be drawn into this aspect by the title "MMA" than simply "combat sports". If you told a middle aged woman "MMA" she would probably say "oh thats that UFC thing", but if you told her "combat sports" she might think its the army playing tennis, she might think its a soccer match with punches allowed, perhaps she would think of some guys in kimonos pressure pointing each other, etc. Of course we talk about BJJ and other stuff too sometimes so "MMA/Combat sports" is probably the best solution. (Although if we had a solid 100 regular posters and marketing the place wasnt a concern I would be down for "the Dojo" lol).

Canuckster: Sherdog has slang for all its subforums. UFC discussion is called "the heavies", worldwide mma discussion is called "the contenders". For the pictures and multimedia(where we did all the shoop stuff) section the nickname was F7, which was derived from the URL code(Im guessing they had "forum #7" in mind).

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 pm

What do you think of it now? (made some changes)

I agree F7 is too vague, and to be honest at least at this point is not as relevant as I thought at the beginning when we had the initial flood of Sherdoggers

Let me know how it looks to you now, I think its an improvement.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 pm

I think martial arts is a bit of a gamble. It isnt as vague as combat sports but doesnt have the clarity of something like MMA. There is still a possibility people will think of pressure points, dim mak, and master Segall before they think about MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai etc. It also presents a descriptive problem because it doesnt encapsulate combat sports that never had martial purpose, like boxing or wrestling. If a boxing fan wandered into the forum they might not even realize they are at home here.

About F7: You could do "Pictures and Multimedia(New F7)" or simply pictures and multimedia with a disclaimer in the FAQ/stick threads that the true/original name of the forum is "The New F7" and explain why.

Return to “Super Dojo”