Eddie Bravo's shameless self-promotion in Rickson interview

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Devil's Advocate

Eddie Bravo's shameless self-promotion in Rickson interview

Postby Devil's Advocate » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56 pm

I've been watching parts of the Rickson interview on the Rogan podcast and have enjoyed it for the most part.
The interview was conducted by Joe and his conjoined bro, Eddie Bravo, so I guess some self-promotion was to be expected, but it just summed up the way Rogan and Bravo work together to push Bravo's brand of BJJ.

Rogan has carried Eddie for several years now, even getting him listed as a writer on some of his early TV shows, all which help to make Bravo's CV appear more credible. He then got him the gig as the door interviwer in the UFC, which was a crappy job, but allowed Bravo to travel the world with his buddy Joe and the UFC travelling circus. Rogan has also shamelessly promoted the 10th planet terminology and attributes in most of his UFC broadcasts, all helping to build the Bravo myth. In reality, Bravo has one win in grappling over Royler, has avoided MMA like the plague, makes crappy music videos, and talks a lot of big talk, without ever really backing it up.

At the end of the interview, Bravo and Rogan corner Rickson in a casual environment and start bombarding him with bullshit about the rubber guard, the twister, and other ways that Eddie has improved on the Gracie techniques. Eventually, Bravo even fools Rikson into laying in his guard so he can demonstrate moves.

Throughout this, i'm seeing Rickson being polite, and respectful, but he was also seeing holes in Bravo's game, and figuring out counters to Bravo's supposedly inescapable moves as they played.

Then at the end, Bravo was pushing Rickson "I can help Kron", "Kron needs me" type of shit. And Rickson very diplomatically said he was tired and he was leaving. He then shook their hands and told Bravo, "let me sleep on it". Which in my mind was Rickson code for "no thanks".

Now though, Bravo has video of him showing Rickson all of these new funky moves, and the average Rogan/Bravo worshipper is going to see that as Bravo shooling Rickson, and therefore being a better BJJ stylist.

Watch this shameful self-promotion where they take advantage of Rickson's good manners, and turn it into an ad for Eddie Bravo Ju Jitsu.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 am

I saw that too and thought the same thing. Thanks for calling it out, I thought it was a bit disrespectful of Bravo.

Rickson was so humble... he knew that it would be worth giving the spotlight up to Bravo to perhaps learn something and be the bigger man. Very impressed with Rickson these days, he could have become such a whackjob but he continues to be so eloquent

Devil's Advocate

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I thought that Rickson showed true class, but Bravo and Rogan looked like hucksters.

Which is par for the course with those guys, they have mastered the art of cross-promotion and talking their game up.

Return to “Super Dojo”