Discuss your most recent training

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Diet Butcher

Re: Discuss your most recent training

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:21 pm

Masato wrote:So I'll be signing up at a new jiu jitsu club tomorrow.

Covid lockdown hysteria (plus some other shit) killed my old club of about 8 years... then during the lockdowns there were 2 clubs that were operating in secret. 1 was 10 mins away, but was shite. The other 35 mins away, but was awesome.

I committed to the 35 minute club and have trained there ever since, so what 3 years?

Anyways due to a bunch of boring logistics of stuff going on in my life, I've decided to switch to a club I found that is literally less than 5 mins from my house I didn't know about until just recently.

It's the brother of Firas Zahabi, GSP's coach. I think his name is Alex Zahabi (?)
I've trained there twice now and was very impressed with the technical level.

Not only is it only 5 mins away, but I think it will suit me better as I age. It's super friendly, a lot of older guys, & seems more technically focussed, where as the club I've been at is more scrappy. I was getting too old for that club I think lol there is a brown belt older than me there which makes it hard to complain, but I was having trouble keeping that pace, a lot of HWs there most days to contend with.

Anyways I'm excited because I was kind of burned out from BJJ for the first time in many years, I was having trouble finding the motivation to drive 35 mins only to have to go hard with 200+lb dudes. Body feeling old, etc

Now with a brand new club I feel like a new chapter is opening, it's pretty exciting.
I'm still kind of burned out to be honest, but I'm looking forward to it. Like a new life again

Anyways that's it lol

Thats awesome. Firas's bro is in Ontario. Burlington right? I'd tell my bro to go check it out but he just moved to Ottawa. He's probably closer to Firas's gym now, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:34 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:
Masato wrote:So I'll be signing up at a new jiu jitsu club tomorrow.

Covid lockdown hysteria (plus some other shit) killed my old club of about 8 years... then during the lockdowns there were 2 clubs that were operating in secret. 1 was 10 mins away, but was shite. The other 35 mins away, but was awesome.

I committed to the 35 minute club and have trained there ever since, so what 3 years?

Anyways due to a bunch of boring logistics of stuff going on in my life, I've decided to switch to a club I found that is literally less than 5 mins from my house I didn't know about until just recently.

It's the brother of Firas Zahabi, GSP's coach. I think his name is Alex Zahabi (?)
I've trained there twice now and was very impressed with the technical level.

Not only is it only 5 mins away, but I think it will suit me better as I age. It's super friendly, a lot of older guys, & seems more technically focussed, where as the club I've been at is more scrappy. I was getting too old for that club I think lol there is a brown belt older than me there which makes it hard to complain, but I was having trouble keeping that pace, a lot of HWs there most days to contend with.

Anyways I'm excited because I was kind of burned out from BJJ for the first time in many years, I was having trouble finding the motivation to drive 35 mins only to have to go hard with 200+lb dudes. Body feeling old, etc

Now with a brand new club I feel like a new chapter is opening, it's pretty exciting.
I'm still kind of burned out to be honest, but I'm looking forward to it. Like a new life again

Anyways that's it lol

Thats awesome. Firas's bro is in Ontario. Burlington right? I'd tell my bro to go check it out but he just moved to Ottawa. He's probably closer to Firas's gym now, lol

Yeah that's the club. Its literally 5 minutes from my house.

I am off to a slow start, lol
I am very burned out for several reasons. Have a vacation coming up, hoping to renew myself and come back to the new club properly

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:41 am

Just did my first class back after almost a month in BC doing nothing but sitting around working eating and drinking.

I got frightfully sloth-ish and was nervous to come back but I did really well. Paced myself, played smart, had some nice rolls.
Was a no gi class.

I am happy. Should be regular training now until Christmas again

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:52 pm

If I haven't already shared in this thread, my wife's nephew came from Brazil to stay with us almost 2 years ago. When he came he was a lazy ass weed smoking video-game addicted teenager, unhealthily overweight and completely unmotivated.
I started taking him to jiu jitsu regularly and he took to it right away. Learned FAST, got a legit blue belt in 1 year which I've never seen before. He lost all his excess weight and lifts weights with my son almost everyday and is like 6'3-6'4 getting jacked.

He's scary AF to roll now, lol and loves to tap out his uncle when he can :D

He's only getting better and I'm only getting older lol
Keeps my jiu jitsu in check ;)

He started college this week

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:43 pm

- I've been training taekwondo for the last decade, and doing jiu here and there. I come back to regular jiu-jitsu. I didnt realize hoiw out of shape i was.
I can easilly train kicks for two hours. But rolling been so hard. My takedown game is so weak
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:35 pm

I hadn't trained in a month and a half. Went back on monday and all the guys were gunning for me in sparring, lol... I guess they were trying to take advantage of my "mat rust". I survived though. It's good to be back.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Back day yesterday, back day without deadlifts if the most glorious day ever, bback day with deadlifts is one of the greatest hardships ive ever experienced

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:12 am

Vutulaki wrote:Back day yesterday, back day without deadlifts if the most glorious day ever, bback day with deadlifts is one of the greatest hardships ive ever experienced

- Do you like trap bars?

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:52 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Vutulaki wrote:Back day yesterday, back day without deadlifts if the most glorious day ever, bback day with deadlifts is one of the greatest hardships ive ever experienced

- Do you like trap bars?

No I think they are shit but a lot of people swear by them and I can see the benefits of taking the sheer force out of movements like the DL by using one. Might have to use one some day

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:54 pm

Vutulaki wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

- Do you like trap bars?

No I think they are shit but a lot of people swear by them and I can see the benefits of taking the sheer force out of movements like the DL by using one. Might have to use one some day

- I'm thinking of getting one. Guys say it's far easier and more secure to work next to max, Every leg session. And more hip friendly.

Return to “Super Dojo”