What era of MMA did yoy like best? pick a 5 or 10 year bracket

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Vutulaki

What era of MMA did yoy like best? pick a 5 or 10 year bracket

Postby Vutulaki » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:28 am

Ill take the early 00s

Pride was really something, you could go to the pub and watch the fights and no one else was interested IE no ambient fanboy newb never rolledor sparred hard commentary like now plus I was young and dumb enough to think I had a chance at making it haha

I liked that MMA had worked things out but there was still a raw unknown element, it's still evolving but we kinda know what were going to get for the most part

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:39 pm

- Btw 2004 and 2011\13. Ronda was the worst thing to haen to mma. A cancer, and imbeciles thinking she beating sedentary soccer moms,meant that she could be UFC chamion on the male divisions.
I'm with you. MIss the characters like Frye, Goodridge, Mirko, Minotaur, Wand, Fedor, Minowa. Dont like the Connor promo stylle.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:44 am

when Ukranian Hobbit Igor Vovchanchyn was dropping Giants like an MMA Mike Tyson

when fighters like Frank Shamrock, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Carlos Newton showed that Grappling could be Artistically Exciting!

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:52 am

and I enjoyed the commentary chemistry of Jeff Blatnick(RIP) and Frank Shamrock and UFC wasn't the same for me after they got rid of Jeff Blatnick and I wish Frank could have avenged that treacherous indignity!

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:41 am

Id say peak MMA began with the 2000 Pride GP and ended when Lesnar vs Fedor was no longer on the table which I think was like 08?

Some great stuff since then though. Mark Hunt's resurgence, the aftermath of USADA, Bisping KOing Rockhold, Romero's gay Jesus speech, the rise and fall of Conor, the girl fights at the low weights where they are hot, and recently Izzy, Perreira, and Strickland.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:41 pm

I would say from the rise of Sakuraba until the fall of Anderson Silva. That's probably more than 10 years, but those were the days when I actually knew almost every fighter on the roster. These days, I only know the champ and maybe a few contenders. I have this younger friend who texts me about upcoming natchups and I'm llke I don't know who the fuck these guys are. LOL

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:10 pm

theraskal wrote:when Ukranian Hobbit Igor Vovchanchyn was dropping Giants like an MMA Mike Tyson

when fighters like Frank Shamrock, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Carlos Newton showed that Grappling could be Artistically Exciting!

Seark had a amazing showin in a Pride event. Also Lister vs Arona was great.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:40 am

lil Vutu has just started his MMA "journey" I call it that just to piss him off anyway I tell him to watch old igor or even page rights if he likes more brutal matche but his generation cant watch a whole fight, im not even making it up he will actively search out highlights or even better tik toks of MMA fights

Sad really oh and hes a Bones fan

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:41 am

Edge Guerrero wrote:- Btw 2004 and 2011\13. Ronda was the worst thing to haen to mma. A cancer, and imbeciles thinking she beating sedentary soccer moms,meant that she could be UFC chamion on the male divisions.

She was on breakfast TV here in Aus, they described her as being "able to down a prime Mike Tyson due to ferocious ground skills"

LOL We know what Tyson would have done in her gaurd

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:03 am

^that Tyson commentary gave me a good chuckle :mrgreen:

Return to “Super Dojo”