GamerGate?

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Masato
Site Admin

GamerGate?

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am

Hey all - someone on Twitter recently brought this to my attention... but I have yet to completely understand it.

Admittedly, I am not a gamer at ALL, so am really out of the loop as far as gaming culture.

Dude is making some points that are surprising to me... says the gaming industry is feminizing men? Falsely accusing men of being misogynist?

I TOTALLY see these patterns in a wider cultural sense, but I am surprised to hear that such ideals are also being promoted in video games; from what I can see, most games I am aware of TOTALLY put down women, and promote violent male stereotypes. But maybe I am wrong?

Lets learn:

m25105

Postby m25105 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

In a nutshell the picture explains it what it's all about.

But if you dig deeper you'll see that there's a lot of stuff to it.

First there's DIGRA, a think tank for gaming funded by DARPA what started out as acacemic research for games has now become a center for feminism and social justice gender issues.

This has also moved on the video game media, who are largely inspired by DIGRA. They are aggressively pushing social justice issues on gamers and treating their sites like a glorified tumblr blog. Anyone that disagrees with them is quickly labeled as a white male CIS conservative misogynist neckbearded basement dwelling scum, and every other negative stereotype you can think off.

Games are also now slowly being judged by their social justice stance and critiqued by it. For example ”Gone Home” a non game where you just walk around in a house and look at stuff (No I'm really not exagerating) got 10/10 and game of the year by Polygon, because of the socalled amazing story feuturing a lesbian. That's right a game that isn't a game gets 10/10 Let that sink in to any gamers here.

I could keep ranting, but I prefer to link these videos instead.

What finally broke the camels back. Gamers have been frustrated for a long time, but lack of proof has always been a problem.

Followups

The DIGRA video.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:26 am

Oh hell, that's you? lol I didn't know

thanks for the links.. this is fascinating. So good you have an eye for how entertainment can be used for social programming/conditioning. There is definitely a lot of gender role re-arranging happening at the moment.

I'm buried today with work, will take a better look asap

To possibly counter this thread in the meantime, check this out:

political-influence-of-video-games-t650.html

I totally believe you, but its hard to ignore that a good % of games really are littered with military-glorification, and over-sexualization of women (Grand Theft Auto comes to mind). A lot of games imo are intended to glorify western foreign policy, and de-sensitize gamers to the whole idea of war. IMO it is working wonderfully :(

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

Also this thread, lol

my-6-year-old-just-sacrificed-5-people-to-satan-t1136.html

maybe I am getting off topic... :D

m25105

Postby m25105 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:48 am

Give us a fellow then ya cheeky bastard.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Nice to see these guys get caught.

I think whistleblowing will be on the up and up... at least I hope so. Social culture seems to be getting hip to calling out crooks and see wankers go down

Most will still probably not see the bigger CT agendas however.

m25105

Postby m25105 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Watch all videos, it might be a small thing, but in the gaming world this is a rabbit hole and we still haven't reach the bottom yet.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:23 am

^ still super busy but definitely curious, WILL WATCH, gimme some time bro :)

Thanks again for the tip, this is really fascinating

What do you think the repercussions of this could be?

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:56 pm

good info here.

I thought gamergate was nothing more than some reviewer sleeping w/a developer (or something like that). will be watching those vids.

m25105

Postby m25105 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 am

Masato wrote:^ still super busy but definitely curious, WILL WATCH, gimme some time bro :)

Thanks again for the tip, this is really fascinating

What do you think the repercussions of this could be?

We're already seeing a switch from websites to youtube, and gamasutra.com has lost almost all of their advertisers, including intel.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”