Censorship Wave

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Benwahwah

Re: Censorship Wave

Postby Benwahwah » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 am

While I think that the tech companies are absolutely within their right to ban people and take down accounts, I do think that they need to be more open about why. The Ron Paul situation is interesting for sure, how can they say there are repeated violations when they have never flagged anything for him to check in the past?

In my opinion, people need to wean themselves off social media. Last year I shut down all my social media accounts in disgust at the fact that in general, they allowed politicians to say what they want without any real consequences. When the recent banning of Trump came into being I saw it as a good thing and reconsidered signing up to the different social media platforms, but realised that I am happier without them. I don't need to see what 'Johnny' from secondary school have for lunch. If people want to stay in contact with me then there are ways that it can be done. It doesn't have to be through Twitter or Facebook.

Having said that, I do still like the forum style of communication so I still have Reddit and a few forums that I am a member of.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:51 am

Internet companies are either public utilities like phone companies or they're private publishers responsible for their content like newspapers. One or the other. Trouble is, they currently enjoy the protections of the former while lately acting like the latter.
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

They are not just private companies.

Look deeper and you'll find coompanies like Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc all have ties to military, intelligence, and other huge corporations that tie back into government again. It's like a huge corpratocracy or whatever that word is, with more intelligence and data on the people than can even be imagined. Like a shadow government. If they were just private companies I agree I wouldn't give a fuck, but they are so much more powerful than that.

Roll in their collusion with the mainstream media and we have a juggernaut that is more powerful in controlling people's information, perception, opinion, and reality more than anything in human history.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 am

YouTube rival Rumble is suing Google for at least $2 billion, saying the search giant abuses its monopoly power

https://www.businessinsider.com/rumble- ... ves-2021-1

The video-sharing site Rumble has accused Google of "unfairly rigging its search algorithm" to favor YouTube's videos in search results, marking the tech giant's latest in a series of antitrust headaches.

Rumble, based in Toronto, filed a lawsuit in California on Monday claiming that Google had unfairly cost it viewers and advertising revenue because of its search algorithms and preinstallation of the YouTube app on Android devices.

"Google, through its search engine, was able to wrongfully divert massive traffic to YouTube, depriving Rumble of the additional traffic, users, uploads, brand awareness and revenue it would have otherwise received," the complaint said.

Google has faced a string of antitrust actions over its search dominance the past few years, drawing attention from US authorities, European Union legislators, and market competitors alike.

Rumble has become popular with conservatives in the past year or so, encouraged by Republican Rep. Devin Nunes and others. The company says it has more than 2 million creators using the site.

Influential right-wingers in the US have taken an aggressive stance against established US tech firms such as Facebook, Google, Apple, and Amazon, a position lately intensified by the platforms teaming up to essentially block the right-wing social-messaging platform Parler.

Currently Rumble's list of most watched videos includes the conservative political commentator Dan Bongino, the Fox News host Sean Hannity, and the conservative YouTubers Diamond and Silk. Its CEO, Chris Pavlovski, regularly posts updates on Twitter about right-wing figures joining the platform.

In its complaint, Rumble alleges that Google "willfully and unlawfully created and maintained a monopoly in the online video-sharing platform market in at least two ways."

"First," it added, "by manipulating the algorithms by which searched-for-video results are listed, Google insures that the videos on YouTube are listed first, and that those of its competitors...are listed way down the list...

"Second, by pre-installation of the YouTube app as the default online video-sharing app on Google smart phones, and by entering into anti-competitive, illegal tying agreements with other smartphone manufacturers to do the same."

The firm indicated it was seeking damages of at least $2 billion.

Rumble's complaint comes shortly after Parler sued Amazon.

Amazon had hosted Parler's service on its cloud service, AWS, but booted the firm off after the US Capitol riot last week. Parler argued in its subsequent suit that Amazon was behaving anticompetitively. Parler's lawsuit indicates that sites and apps banned or penalized by the US tech giants over violent speech are willing to use the emerging antitrust sentiment in court.

A Google representative told The Wall Street Journal: "We will defend ourselves against these baseless claims."

Rumble and Google did not immediately respond to requests for further comment from Business Insider.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 am

Rep. Nunes Calls for Racketeering Investigation Into Big Tech Companies Following Parler Ban

BY THE EPOCH TIMES · PUBLISHED JANUARY 10, 2021 · UPDATED JANUARY 10, 202

https://thedailycoin.org/2021/01/10/rep ... arler-ban/

Rep. Nunes Calls for Racketeering Investigation Into Big Tech Companies Following Parler Ban BY ZACHARY STIEBER for The Epoch Times

A top Republican in the House of Representatives on Sunday called for a racketeering probe into large technology companies who over the weekend took action against Parler, a social media website.

“This is clearly a violation of antitrust, civil rights, the RICO statute. There should be a racketeering investigation on all the people that coordinated this attack on not only a company but on all of those like us, like me, like you, Maria,” Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), the ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, told Fox News’s “Sunday Morning Futures” host Maria Bartiromo.

After Twitter banned President Donald Trump and some other users, Parler saw its traffic explode. Soon, though, Google announced it had removed Parler from its online store, a move followed by Apple. Then, Amazon announced it was suspending Parler from its web hosting services.

Parler CEO John Matze told The Epoch Times his company is prepared to take legal action, but in the meantime authorities should investigate the possibly-coordinated actions, Nunes argued.

“The effect of this is that there is no longer a free and open social media company or site for any American to get on any longer,” he said, because Amazon, Google, and Apple, “have just destroyed” Parler.

“It’s preposterous. So I don’t know where the hell the Department of Justice is at right now, or the FBI,” he added.

Nunes also said the CEOs of the companies should be prosecuted criminally. He also said he has been talking to fellow members of Congress and that they’re exploring their legal options. And he also called on the Supreme Court and federal judges to step in and intervene.

The Department of Justice, Apple, Google, and Amazon didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:29 am

Hey Mas. I think I can pay this website a few crypto dollars every once in a while with this new Brave browser of mine. It blocks the ads but it allows the user to pay the sites he likes and visits often to make up for the lost ad revenue. I think you have to sign up for it though. I just downloaded Brave today so I'm not clear on this.
el rey del mambo

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Benwahwah wrote:While I think that the tech companies are absolutely within their right to ban people and take down accounts, I do think that they need to be more open about why. The Ron Paul situation is interesting for sure, how can they say there are repeated violations when they have never flagged anything for him to check in the past?

In my opinion, people need to wean themselves off social media. Last year I shut down all my social media accounts in disgust at the fact that in general, they allowed politicians to say what they want without any real consequences. When the recent banning of Trump came into being I saw it as a good thing and reconsidered signing up to the different social media platforms, but realised that I am happier without them. I don't need to see what 'Johnny' from secondary school have for lunch. If people want to stay in contact with me then there are ways that it can be done. It doesn't have to be through Twitter or Facebook.

Having said that, I do still like the forum style of communication so I still have Reddit and a few forums that I am a member of.

- Social media stoped being a escape to become people real life. Politicians can get alway with murder here. Pretty sure its the same in USA.

Good thing its gave a voice to the voiceless. People can say the truth to a politician profile without being censored.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm

Trump's biggest mistake was not ruthlessly going after big tech with legislation from day 1. I think part of it was driven by his egotism. He wanted to be the profile generating all the buzz. On the other hand maybe he intentionally didnt thinking they would overextend themselves as they did here. I mean if you wanted to make an argument against big tech a good way to set it up would be to do something like this, wait for nothing to come of the puffed up charges against Trump and for emotions around it to fade, then say "hey remember that time they banned the POTUS over some flimsy BS?"

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:Hey Mas. I think I can pay this website a few crypto dollars every once in a while with this new Brave browser of mine. It blocks the ads but it allows the user to pay the sites he likes and visits often to make up for the lost ad revenue. I think you have to sign up for it though. I just downloaded Brave today so I'm not clear on this.

You see ads on this forum? I have never seen that.

I don't have any crypto accounts.

If you are offering some monetary support that is very awesome of you but I am doing OK :D I prefer to keep that filthy stuff out of this forum. Free from $$ and free from censorship

I do appreciate however any insights on switching platforms/browsers etc. My whole professional business is set up with a Gmail account. It works great but there seems to be a mass turning on these big tech/info oligarchs and its very tempting to join it.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”