Ceasefire agreed between Israel and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Egyptian diplomats say after days of violence

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Ceasefire agreed between Israel and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Egyptian diplomats say after days of violence

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 13, 2023 8:55 pm

By Richard Allen Greene, Ibrahim Dahman, Abeer Salman and Duarte Mendonca, CNN
Updated 4:09 PM EDT, Sat May 13, 2023

Jerusalem and Gaza
CNN

Israel and Palestinian Islamic Jihad have agreed to a ceasefire, Egyptian diplomats in Gaza said Saturday, after days of violence that has killed at least 33 Palestinians in Gaza and at least two people in Israel – an Israeli woman and a Palestinian man from Gaza working in Israel.

The ceasefire was scheduled to take effect at 10 p.m. local time (3 p.m. ET), the Egyptian commission in Gaza said.

There are “good chances” of a ceasefire with Islamic Jihad, an Israeli official told CNN. The official asked not to be named discussing diplomatic negotiations.

Sirens sounded repeatedly in areas of Israel near the Gaza Strip Saturday night, and the Israel Defense Forces launched more airstrikes on targets in Gaza, minutes before the ceasefire was due to come into effect.

Rockets continued to be fired from Gaza in the minutes after the ceasefire was supposed to take effect, a CNN producer in Gaza heard. The Israel Defense Forces continued to report sirens warning of incoming fire in areas of Israel near Gaza. At least some rockets were intercepted by Israeli air defenses, live pictures showed

Word of the agreement comes near the end of a day of intense fighting.

A rocket launched from Gaza killed a Palestinian man working in Israel and seriously wounded another, Israel medical authorities said Saturday, as cross-border fire showed little signs of easing.

The two men were working in the Negev desert in southern Israel and were hit by shrapnel.

Israel Defense Forces spokesman Lt. Col. Richard Hecht tweeted Saturday that the two men are brothers.

The Palestinian man who died is the second death in Israel due to rocket fire from Gaza since hostilities broke out on Tuesday morning.

The incident came as Israel’s military pounded targets in Gaza Saturday while Palestinian militants fired more rockets.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it launched a series of attacks on sites which it said belong to Islamic Jihad in the Gaza Strip.

Israel accuses the group of planning attacks and since the flare-up began on Tuesday has killed six of its commanders. Islamic Jihad is the second largest armed group in Gaza after Hamas.

More than 1,000 rockets have been launched so far at Israel, the IDF says, who have struck more than 250 targets in Gaza as part of its “Shield and Arrow” campaign, now in its fifth day.

Videos from Gaza showed that the airstrikes appeared to have also hit at least two civilian homes in the northern Gaza Strip on Saturday, but no injuries were reported.

Asked about the latest strikes by CNN, the IDF said that in the last 24 hours, they struck operational residences used as headquarters and command and control centers by the Jihad terrorists.

In its statement, the military said IDF fighter jets and aircraft struck launching sites for mortar shells and rockets “used by Islamic Jihad to fire projectiles toward Israel over the last few days.”

Sirens sounded in areas of Israel near the region on Saturday, as Palestinian Islamic Jihad continues to fire rockets.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/13/middleeast/israel-palestine-gaza-strip-attack-intl/index.html
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Mon May 15, 2023 12:29 am

I hope the cease fire holds up and lives are saved. But I don't expect this to hold up for too long. Too many differences between the Pals and Israelis.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue May 16, 2023 8:03 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:I hope the cease fire holds up and lives are saved. But I don't expect this to hold up for too long. Too many differences between the Pals and Israelis.

- I tryied to get some news about the conflict. Last report i got was 3 days ago.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”