The TRUTH vs CherryPicking Psychology

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
theraskal

The TRUTH vs CherryPicking Psychology

Postby theraskal » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:02 am

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 am

seems like these Therapists/Self-Helpsters just kind of borrow ideas from Philosophy and Religions(often without full understanding) and then repackage it as Psychology?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:23 pm

theraskal wrote:seems like these Therapists/Self-Helpsters just kind of borrow ideas from Philosophy and Religions(often without full understanding) and then repackage it as Psychology?

- Every time i go on youtube pops one like this.:(
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:47 pm

I prefer the traditional Religious expression which seems to advocate humbling internal reflection of our humanity which inspires a more compassionate nature vs the Egoistic expression of Contemporary "Self-Help" which seems to inspire a more selfish external ideology of fragile condition which gets HUMBLED when one eventually finds his FLAWS exposed by the challenges of life

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:57 pm

this man was a student of CHERRY PICKING Celebrity "Guru" Alan WATTS before becoming a WALK the TALK Orthodox Monk:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:00 pm

Interesting thread!
I agree that most who talk the talk don't walk the walk. Those who preach or claim to have all the answers I find are usually tricksters.
I have never liked preachers or pastors or those types, even when I tried to lol

I will check out the Alan Watts critique, but from the start I have to say I'm a big Alan Watts fan.
Not because I think he was any sort of guru or wiseman, but precisely for the reasons you describe; Alan Watts NEVER CLAIMED to be a guru or wiseman. He would tell you up front he was an entertainer. He made no secret of his drugs and alcohol and promiscuity.

In fact Alan Watts has an entire concept he called "The Element of Irreducible RASKALITY" :D :D (typo intended for our man Raskal)

The concept was that NO Human could or should be trusted to be so saintly. He said all of us have an inevitable quality that makes us human, and suggested that we be honest about it and don't play any games of pretend that we can achieve some state that is simply not realistic.

This is why I like Alan Watts. He was humble and laughed at himself all the time. He would freely admit the ideas he spoke were not his own, he was just excited to share because he thought they were cool.

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:41 pm

^great post, thanks for the contribution and input Masato and I rather enjoyed the strategic use of ALL CAPS :mrgreen:

I enjoy reading diverse perspective and ideas which challenge the thinking as it is how we grow in wisdom and knowledge

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:32 pm

this comment is a good example of CherryPicking Psy Gurus who may not be fully educated in the subject they are lecturing yet because they are charismatic good talkers and/or good lookers and/or prestigious educational credentials people do not question what is being expressed and if the person expressing the information is living a good example of that information to indicate its benefits......here is the comment and vid:

comment:

@gdansk12349
9 months ago
He gets a lot of important things completely wrong. I think that’s really lazy of him. In buddhism the symbolism is very important. He clearly hasn’t deep dived into buddhism

vid:

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”