Never been a fan of the Smith machine. Doesn't feel right being locked in place.
On the bus to the gym now. Reckon I'll be doing 105kg 3x8 as low as I can go.
Anyone interested in a group fitness challenge?
It is time to unveil my homo-bro split haha
Ive been doing the big 4 + accessories for too long, years now and just need a break
Its a 3 to 5 day split depending on recovery and work commitments
D1 Chest/Back
Bench
Dips
Incline DB press
Flys
bent over rows
Chin ups
Seated cable pulls
Did the above today after work and it was refreshing getting in and out quick plus just different
D2 Shoulders/ Arms yes arms cause look like you lift and shit
Seated DB OHP
Pec dec backwards thing
lat raises
Hanging high pulls
Concentration curls
BB curl
Some type of OH tri extension
Tri push downs
D3 Legs
Squat
RDLS
Leg press
Leg curls
Leg extension
I want to try proper HIT Yates style, obviously I dont care enough to be screaming and farting blood in the gym but Ill push it after ive done a cycle/worked out the logistics
Ill then take a day or two rest and then repeat days 1 and 2 I think thats enough legs for a weekish cycle
If I dont have time or not recovered ill just take 3 days off then repeat all 3 days no longer paying any mind to using the roman catholic week to structure my split cause my work week doesnt always work out that way
Everything 3 sets, first warm up, second work to about 3 RIR then 3rd grind into failure
Any glaring holes in my approach? any suggestions from anyone besides PenVX would be appreciated
Here are my thoughts, you can maintain or increase Squat and bench on that split, OHP will suffer due to not doing any standing OHP but who cares and deadlifts will suffer greatly but I can DL 200KG without a warm up for the next 5-10 years without training it so I dont really care. I mainly care about aesthetics until the southern hemisphere summer is over and also about my bench and squat at least slowly improving say 2.5kg per month for the next 4 months
Ive been doing the big 4 + accessories for too long, years now and just need a break
Its a 3 to 5 day split depending on recovery and work commitments
D1 Chest/Back
Bench
Dips
Incline DB press
Flys
bent over rows
Chin ups
Seated cable pulls
Did the above today after work and it was refreshing getting in and out quick plus just different
D2 Shoulders/ Arms yes arms cause look like you lift and shit
Seated DB OHP
Pec dec backwards thing
lat raises
Hanging high pulls
Concentration curls
BB curl
Some type of OH tri extension
Tri push downs
D3 Legs
Squat
RDLS
Leg press
Leg curls
Leg extension
I want to try proper HIT Yates style, obviously I dont care enough to be screaming and farting blood in the gym but Ill push it after ive done a cycle/worked out the logistics
Ill then take a day or two rest and then repeat days 1 and 2 I think thats enough legs for a weekish cycle
If I dont have time or not recovered ill just take 3 days off then repeat all 3 days no longer paying any mind to using the roman catholic week to structure my split cause my work week doesnt always work out that way
Everything 3 sets, first warm up, second work to about 3 RIR then 3rd grind into failure
Any glaring holes in my approach? any suggestions from anyone besides PenVX would be appreciated
Here are my thoughts, you can maintain or increase Squat and bench on that split, OHP will suffer due to not doing any standing OHP but who cares and deadlifts will suffer greatly but I can DL 200KG without a warm up for the next 5-10 years without training it so I dont really care. I mainly care about aesthetics until the southern hemisphere summer is over and also about my bench and squat at least slowly improving say 2.5kg per month for the next 4 months
So to be clear the ideal week would be days 1-3 rest 1 day repeat days 1-2 rest 1 day end of training cycle start back at day 1
Min training cycle would be days 1-3 then rest 4 days then start again
No more than 1 3 day week per month
Im such a cuck to the 7 day week minset FML
Min training cycle would be days 1-3 then rest 4 days then start again
No more than 1 3 day week per month
Im such a cuck to the 7 day week minset FML
-
Anastasios
- Posts: 294
- Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:41 pm
- Reputation: 227
Som-Pong wrote:Never been a fan of the Smith machine. Doesn't feel right being locked in place.
On the bus to the gym now. Reckon I'll be doing 105kg 3x8 as low as I can go.
I second that. Smith machine is for specific bodybuilding purposes where you use submax weights and focus on a muscle. It might be the cause of your pains.
Smith machine is not ideal, but I dont have enough room for both a squat rack and and a bench press bench, it saves me a lot of money and I like the safety features. I might be able to buy a condo soon so I dont have to live in a basement anymore and can maybe then look at some alternatives.

Had a glorious session today on the day of the ancestors. My original plan was to do bench today to make myself tired and try to sleep early so tomorrow I could then do squats, so I wouldnt have to do it on a commuting day when I got home late. But the bicep is still a bit tender and as fate would have it I got 9 hours of sleep last night. So I decided to do squats today instead.
Despite it being 4 days since my last squat session I actually did still have a small amount of soreness in my quads. It was no problem though because I just adjusted my stance a bit to use more of the posterior chain. And best of all my tendons feel totally fine. For my top set I did the highest weight I have ever gone for 3 sets of 6 reps with. Last time I tired I got something like 6,4,2. Today I nailed it and got all 3 sets! Did some pretty heavy drop sets too. I was a bit less focused on balance today and I can actually noticeably feel it in my left side more than my right. Oh well, still a big win on a big day. I can already feel that sweet burning in my hamstrings, the feeling of victory.
Despite it being 4 days since my last squat session I actually did still have a small amount of soreness in my quads. It was no problem though because I just adjusted my stance a bit to use more of the posterior chain. And best of all my tendons feel totally fine. For my top set I did the highest weight I have ever gone for 3 sets of 6 reps with. Last time I tired I got something like 6,4,2. Today I nailed it and got all 3 sets! Did some pretty heavy drop sets too. I was a bit less focused on balance today and I can actually noticeably feel it in my left side more than my right. Oh well, still a big win on a big day. I can already feel that sweet burning in my hamstrings, the feeling of victory.

Vutulaki wrote:So to be clear the ideal week would be days 1-3 rest 1 day repeat days 1-2 rest 1 day end of training cycle start back at day 1
Min training cycle would be days 1-3 then rest 4 days then start again
No more than 1 3 day week per month
Im such a cuck to the 7 day week minset FML
Think I'll start hitting the gym everyday. Some shit always comes up to give you an unintended break anyway.
So I did this today
D2 Shoulders/ Arms yes arms cause look like you lift and shit
Seated DB OHP
Pec dec backwards thing
lat raises
Hanging high pulls
Incline bench curls
BB curl
laying OH tri extension letting the bar drop past my head then getting the weight up in a double spear chucking motion
Tri push downs
You know you did something right or wrong when the doms are almost immeadiate got a sick pump in the bis doing my AMRAP BB curl set like visibly bigger bis then has my post workout shake then stopped at the pub for a coke waiting for the fucking bus and a nice dom set into the right bi now both are sore
This workout is no good for strength but im hoping it will put some dense size on, so far so good but early days
Sunday Ill be doing the leg workout I posted, im going to try for Tom Platz level intensity since Im only hitting them once a week now, Sunday is going to suck so bad
D2 Shoulders/ Arms yes arms cause look like you lift and shit
Seated DB OHP
Pec dec backwards thing
lat raises
Hanging high pulls
Incline bench curls
BB curl
laying OH tri extension letting the bar drop past my head then getting the weight up in a double spear chucking motion
Tri push downs
You know you did something right or wrong when the doms are almost immeadiate got a sick pump in the bis doing my AMRAP BB curl set like visibly bigger bis then has my post workout shake then stopped at the pub for a coke waiting for the fucking bus and a nice dom set into the right bi now both are sore
This workout is no good for strength but im hoping it will put some dense size on, so far so good but early days
Sunday Ill be doing the leg workout I posted, im going to try for Tom Platz level intensity since Im only hitting them once a week now, Sunday is going to suck so bad
I do the second variant in this vid but with an ever greater emphasis on getting the long head stretched cause if im understanding the anatomy of the tricep and its purpose it doesnt just extend the forearm down but closes the shoulder, I may be weird but mine works in unison with the latto a smal degree
Rip explains it better than me
Rip explains it better than me
Vutulaki wrote:I do the second variant in this vid but with an ever greater emphasis on getting the long head stretched cause if im understanding the anatomy of the tricep and its purpose it doesnt just extend the forearm down but closes the shoulder, I may be weird but mine works in unison with the latto a smal degree
Rip explains it better than me
I do the same thing. Just get more of a feel in the triceps that way. And it also seems to hit my lats.
Guessing you're not weird then.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests