Anyone interested in a group fitness challenge?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
User avatar
Som-Pong
Posts: 7567
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 am
Reputation: 3877

Re: Anyone interested in a group fitness challenge?

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:38 pm

Went yesterday, bench, incline dumbell press, dips, one armed cable cross and tricep pushdowns. Same weights as last session before I got sick. Felt OK. Doing deadlifts, today. Won't go heavy, just 120 3x8

User avatar
Som-Pong
Posts: 7567
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 am
Reputation: 3877

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:39 pm

As for the physio; businessmen will always recommend an option they can provide. Goodness doesn't factor into it.

Anastasios
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:41 pm
Reputation: 227

Postby Anastasios » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:09 am

Som-Pong wrote:As for the physio; businessmen will always recommend an option they can provide. Goodness doesn't factor into it.

They can also be dumb or smart, just like other people. Being dumb is selling one product, gambling on whether the customer will be satisfied, and risking losing future sales of multiple products.

User avatar
Luigi
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm
Reputation: 3071

Postby Luigi » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:29 am

Do you guys have experience with tier based programs? The idea is to have accessory lifts at lesser intensity in a body builder-like style.

http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/ ... ed_13.html
Image

User avatar
Vutulaki
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 am
Reputation: 1758

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:50 am

Anastasios wrote:
Som-Pong wrote:As for the physio; businessmen will always recommend an option they can provide. Goodness doesn't factor into it.

They can also be dumb or smart



I thought you were referring to people of colour for a moment.

Anastasios
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:41 pm
Reputation: 227

Postby Anastasios » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:53 pm

Luigi wrote:Do you guys have experience with tier based programs? The idea is to have accessory lifts at lesser intensity in a body builder-like style.

http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/ ... ed_13.html

It is wrong to only train in one rep range. You should vary the rep ranges so that you don't plateau. Very low rep ranges generally don't go well with most isolation exercises, like going for a double or a single on concentration curls is ridiculous. Rep range should be specific to your goals but even then you have to switch it up to avoid stagnation, and that even when you train for strength, you need hypertrophy thus you need the other rep ranges too.

The problem with that method is that just like every other method and program. They use the terms "beginner/intermediate" et.c. because what they mean is it is just basic training and your body will make adaptations depending on the demands you put on it, however the response to the stimuli will diminish over time. It is just a program and not a system. It looks pretty decent though.

I think it looks good though and for the most part I have had small exercises mostly at high rep ranges and bigger exercises mostly on low rep ranges. Squats, deadlifts and bench press are among the most taxing and it just fits more to do them more at lower rep ranges than higher, meanwhile small exercises mostly high rep ranges. Other stuff in the middle like rows, pullups, dips, I train them throughout all rep ranges in the long run, in pretty much equal proportions.

Anastasios
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:41 pm
Reputation: 227

Postby Anastasios » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:13 pm

Another critique of that program is silly percentages and max attempts after doing sets that drain energy. This is just silly and it shows he has never worked as a coach with many athletes where he would realize first that how many reps you can do at a percentage varies too much. Second it is silly to try for a rep max after doing sets that themselves produce fatigue. It also shows that he has never reached advanced strength levels. Three singles at 97.5% of max and then next week go for max reps at 100% of max. Sure some might have excellent recuperative abilities however I feel no need to explain anything about this, you can get to 300kg deadlift level strength for yourself and see what you will learn by yourself on the way.

User avatar
Luigi
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm
Reputation: 3071

Postby Luigi » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:21 am

Had a good squat session today, well mostly good. I was having a hard time catching my breath between sets and it finally caught up to me in the last set. After a few reps I lost count of the reps so wasnt sure if I got the last one or needed one more. Usually in this situation I just do an extra one but I was desperate for air so reracked the weight for 15ish seconds before doing the last one. I still consider the session a win but it came very close to being a fail. My knees felt really beat up after this, and on my drop sets I got a little bit of the mental lock, though not too bad. Whats pretty annoying is that every time I run into an issue it has nothing to do with muscular strength. Its either oxygen, pain, or mental aspects. Still, I shouldnt complain, a win is a win. Especially when you consider I have felt like trash all week so far.

While I think I was basically right about the inflammation not compounding, a heavy session like this can rough you up just in its own right. I will need to deload soon. Either next time or the time after. Also today was the perfect day to do curls and I missed my chance from working late. Hopefully Ill do them this weekend.
Image

User avatar
Vutulaki
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 am
Reputation: 1758

Postby Vutulaki » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:01 am

Im back on the road again, fully licensed and bought myself a nice Lexus V6

I had the hybrid last time this time I did the math and it would take 6 years for the hybrid to get me in front financially and thats assuming the battery doesnt go first. Full gas version has more GRUNT too

User avatar
Masato
Site Admin
Posts: 19313
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:16 pm
Reputation: 8588

Postby Masato » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:28 pm

Vutulaki wrote:Im back on the road again, fully licensed and bought myself a nice Lexus V6

I had the hybrid last time this time I did the math and it would take 6 years for the hybrid to get me in front financially and thats assuming the battery doesnt go first. Full gas version has more GRUNT too


Vutu is PUMPED!!!!!!! Go Vutu Go!!!



Return to “Anarchy Zone”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests